• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Design: Wizards...

Wormwood

Adventurer
Thornir Alekeg said:
Now, what does it say about the type of player I am when I read this, and, rather than Lord of the Rings, immediately thought of that great wizard called Tim shooting fire from the end of his staff.

It means that just like me, you are a D&D player of great wit and erudition.

Because that was my first thought as well! :)

RandomCitizenX

First Post
This change will possibly get me to play a wizard for the first time since 3rd ed came out. They have been the one class that I could never find the desire to play no matter how many pick up games I have participated in.

Now I wonder if a rog 1 or 2 then the rest wizard would work.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Wow, was this unexpected. Sounds pretty cool though. Wizards needing cool gadgets so they can cast spells? I'm all for it. I hope this drops off the existing spell book and spell components. I was always of the mind that a spell component could be used to enhance a spell, but shouldn't be required. It will be interesting to see what this turns into.

Sun Knight

First Post
Just to put my two cents worth here, but what the OP has sounds very very lame. Sure it might work for a very high magic campaign setting but what about low magic campaign settings. They exist as well and in fact that is typically how I run my game. 3.5e makes allowances for low magic settings. It looks like 4e does not.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Thornir Alekeg said:
immediately thought of that great wizard called Tim shooting fire from the end of his staff.

I always thought it was odd that being an enchanter, Tim was hurling fireballs around…

…He's a busy man.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
*off topic*
I think people are misinterpreting the comment on "less magic items". At least one designer has said that the magic level is going UP across all classes.
Higher magic level =/= more magic items

It could just mean that classes have more access to magical abilities, such as Hide in Plain Sight, Smite, or healing powers.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Sun Knight said:
3.5e makes allowances for low magic settings. It looks like 4e does not.

Actually, the opposite, as 4th edition will not have characters magic item dependant as they are now.

No more bling dripping pimps as PCs.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Sun Knight said:
Just to put my two cents worth here, but what the OP has sounds very very lame. Sure it might work for a very high magic campaign setting but what about low magic campaign settings. They exist as well and in fact that is typically how I run my game. 3.5e makes allowances for low magic settings. It looks like 4e does not.

If you want a low-magic setting, why don;t you just top spellcasters off at a very low level.

Sun Knight

First Post
Baby Samurai said:
Actually, the opposite, as 4th edition will not have characters magic item dependant as they are now.

No more bling dripping pimps as PCs.

I never found 3.5e characters as magic item dependent. In fact most of the campaigns I have participated in and ran rarely has any real potent magic items at all. At most a +3 weapon or armor, a wand or three in the party. No minor artifacts or intelligent weapons that is fo sure.

I guess the DMs I played under and my own games we showed a lot of restraint compared to your experiences.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads