New Digital Games Studio announced by the president of Wizards of the Coast

Interesting. I look forward to seeing what comes of this - some thrilling ideas, no doubt, but I'm keeping myself reserved so as not to be let down should those thrilling ideas be brought into less-than-thrilling existence.

Interesting. I look forward to seeing what comes of this - some thrilling ideas, no doubt, but I'm keeping myself reserved so as not to be let down should those thrilling ideas be brought into less-than-thrilling existence.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not really for me, I don't think. My interest is tabletop roleplaying specifically, not the D&D brand. Where the two coincide, that's awesome.

Vampyr3

Explorer
In all likelihood this is a giant hole they're just throwing their money into...

There's no way this means we're getting a new AAA D&D RPG video game. A game like that requires a TON of money and years of development time. We're likely going to see some small stuff first (apps, a D&D version of Pokemon Go, freemium time wasters, etc) and then, maybe in three or four years, and actual video game.

This.. So Much This.... Thumbs Up Sir..

ShadowCat5

Banned
Banned
I just want ONE RPG that uses the actual 5th Edition rules. I want it to be mostly bug free and have a good story like Baldur's Gate 2. Or in other words, I want Baldur's Gate 3.

If they tried a Sandbox RPG like Fallout or Skyrim, that would be ok too, but BG3 is about the only way they will catch my interest or money. A Bethesda like game is even more unlikely.

ShadowCat5

Banned
Banned
I'd be thrilled with something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. The fantasy gaming community is large and ripe currently, the most robust it has ever been.

I am surprised they never rereleased those on modern consoles in HD format. Seems like it would be an easy way to make some extra money. The old coin-ops in Mystara were released on XBOX ONE. They could do both Dark Alliance 1 and 2 as a set. Then do D&D Heroes.

darjr

I crit!
Whatever they come up with, don't expect this aspect to change. No way they'll be giving away the AP related content for a price that is not anywhere near the price for the AP itself

Which is fine for me, just as long as it's PDF or a similar from. I don't need not want to pay for the vtt features.

pming

Legend
Well, if a video game comes out, I'd go with a nice "Baldurs Gate 3" as well (as [MENTION=6807767]ShadowCat5[/MENTION] said). However, I think they'll pump out a bunch of cra...'stuff'... that will be downloaded a few million times, used for a month, then never touched again. Basically, a wast of time, money, and effort. In all honesty, any "digital tool for the table" is useless to me. We don't use tablets/computers/phones at the table 99% of the time...the 1% of the time it's a tablet to read PDF's of stuff not available in print. The only "digital tool" I've contemplated grabbing so far is "Realm Works", so I could reveal pics, handouts, maps, etc that everyone could see on their tablets (to save on ink mostly...that sh!#$ expensive!).

A "digital tool for designing D&D adventures" might get my attention. But such a program would need to have a few key elements: (1) DOES NOT REQUIRE SUBSCRIPTION (I'm starting to *loath* that method). (2) Does not require me to be constantly connected to the net (3) Lets me save/DL my creations, whatever they are, in a non-propitiatory format (so, png/bmp/tiff, or pdf/rtf/odf/sxw, etc). (4) Has a *ridiculous* amount of customization... if I can't add my own rules, images, maps, text, stats, or if I can't modify virtually *anything* in it, then forget about it.

So...yeah...I've pretty much resigned myself to not buying any of their 'digital stuff'. The corporate mantra of the day now is "Hook 'em with free, get their info, sell it to others...and if you can swing it, go subscription and lock them out of their stuff if they stop paying protecti....'subscription' fees. Bonus Points if you can add some kind of microtransaction".

I'm betting on "Subscription, Proprietary Format, Microtransactions" for just about everything they put out that isn't free. If it's free..."Free, Info-Gathering/Selling, Ad Revenue, Microtransactions" (the old saying holds true...If you aren't paying for the product, you ARE the product. Just give me "Core Rules 3.0 for 5e". :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads

Remove ads