New Errata & Sage Advice Compendium (Sleep & Trance Are Fixed!)

Shouldn't that actually be the 7th printing? The last round of errata was for the 6th printing.

Also, there's even errata for Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters!

EDIT: I see that the D&D Conversions document has been updated to v1.01, but I can't actually see anything different at a glance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most of these new errata are mechanical corrections and clarifications. But the three changes to Chapter 2 of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide are pure theme/fluff. Any ideas why these were important enough to warrant errata?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes, both a section that says these are official rulings AND a clear answer that Contagion takes effect after the third failed save. Taken together that should finally put that to rest.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There's an interesting one bullet-point addition on pg 15 about if something is considered magical. It adds "fueled by a spell slot".

CapnZapp

Legend
I maintain that sleep and trance are NOT fixed.

Just wanted to point out that whomever wrote that headline probably did so after a cursory glance at the contents of the web page...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

JesterOC

Explorer
I maintain that sleep and trance are NOT fixed.

Sure looks pretty clear to me. If an elf uses Trance during a long rest. They are rested in 4 hours.

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in4 hours?
If an elf meditates during a long rest (as describedin the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules fora long rest; only the duration is changed.

SubDude

Explorer
The more I think about this, it is starting to make sense. I started this post in agreement / confusion with CapnZapp. Here's my current thinking; let me know where I might be misconfused.

Borrowing from the OP, with highlights my own:

New version (from this errata):

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.

Original version (unchanged in Player's Handbook):

Trance. Elves don't need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is "trance.") While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

New explanation from the updated Sage Advice Compendium:

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours? If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed. [This answer has been altered as a result of a tweak to the rules for a long rest, which appears in newer printings of the Player’s Handbook.]

So, if a human sleeps for 8 hours, he has fully met the requirements of a Long Rest.

Thus, if an elf's Trance grants this exact same benefit, then a 4-hour trance also fully meets the requirements of a Long Rest.

This COULD have been included in the new definition of a Long Rest "...except for elves..."; but I think they wanted to keep away from trying to list every exception in the general rules, and instead only put any exceptions to the general rule within a specific rule.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I think I am satisfied.

pukunui

Legend
I've had some clarification from Jeremy Crawford. The latest updates to the errata actually predate the 6th printing, which is why all of that printing's errata is still marked as the most recent. It's like they've errata'd the errata document.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases