New Errata & Sage Advice Compendium (Sleep & Trance Are Fixed!)

Shouldn't that actually be the 7th printing? The last round of errata was for the 6th printing. Also, there's even errata for Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters! EDIT: I see that the D&D Conversions document has been updated to v1.01, but I can't actually see anything different at a glance.

Shouldn't that actually be the 7th printing? The last round of errata was for the 6th printing.

Also, there's even errata for Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters!

EDIT: I see that the D&D Conversions document has been updated to v1.01, but I can't actually see anything different at a glance.

Ristamar

Adventurer
No, they do not.

(the Sage does, but it's not in either the rules or the errata).

Yes, more accurately then...

The compendium of official rules answers for Dungeons & Dragons (fifth edition) states that elves need 4 hours of trance for a long rest (no other rest time required).

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
No, they do not.

(the Sage does, but it's not in either the rules or the errata)
Just curious, how would you rewrite trance to say this more clearly than it does now? It seems quite clear to me.

"After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep."
Is taking a long rest not one of the benefits of 8 hours of sleep (for a human)?

JesterOC

Explorer
Note to remember that in the Tapatalk app, like = laugh. Live and learn. Instead of laughing I just wanted to express my agreement.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
I really am truly confused by the issue. A character (race unspecific) must sleep for 6 hours or more to get a long rest. An elf that trances counts as having slept for eight hours. Thus, the elf has received a long rest.

In a group with other races, the free time (i.e. the extra time that the Elf is awake compared to the others) is 'wasted' by the fact that the group will stick together. In an all-elf group, the group could trance for four hours if they felt like it, and then everyone would have a long rest (since they've slept for more than six hours).

What am I missing?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I really am truly confused by the issue. A character (race unspecific) must sleep for 6 hours or more to get a long rest. An elf that trances counts as having slept for eight hours. Thus, the elf has received a long rest.

In a group with other races, the free time (i.e. the extra time that the Elf is awake compared to the others) is 'wasted' by the fact that the group will stick together. In an all-elf group, the group could trance for four hours if they felt like it, and then everyone would have a long rest (since they've slept for more than six hours).

What am I missing?

Nothing. Some people just look for things to complain about.

Non-elves have to spend 8 hours to complete a long rest, only six has to be in sleep. An elf only needs 4 hours to complete a long rest, but all four hours must be spent in trance/meditation. What needs to be thrown out is the 4 hours of trance equaling 8 hours of sleep, when by the mechanics, that is not necessary.

Even in an all-elf party, realistically a long rest will still need to be at least 6 hours because watches still need to happen if the party is not in a secure location. And in mixed-race parties, they will still need 8 hours for a long rest. Basically the benefit of having elves in the party is that they can stand two two-hour watches, or do other strenuous activity, without losing the benefit of the long rest, while everyone else sleeps.

CapnZapp

Legend
Non-elves have to spend 8 hours to complete a long rest, only six has to be in sleep. An elf only needs 4 hours to complete a long rest, but all four hours must be spent in trance/meditation. What needs to be thrown out is the 4 hours of trance equaling 8 hours of sleep, when by the mechanics, that is not necessary.
Yes, there needs to be a new round of errata, so we don't have to rely on Sage Advice.

The rule needs to actually say "an elf only needs 4 hours to complete a long rest". Until it does, it doesn't.

Currently all the rule is saying is 4 hours trance replaces 8 hours sleep. This means that in games without Sage Advice, it's perfectly possible and reasonable to rule that elves still need 8 hours to complete a long rest.

(Just as it was perfectly possible and reasonable to rule they only needed 4 before, since even before this errata the rules still only said 4 hours trance replaces 8 hours sleep!)

TL;DR: The actual rules have never given clear instructions on how elf trance interacts with long rests, and still don't.

The devs does not get away with changing a race ability from ribbon to functional (or back) through Sage Advice. If it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules.

JesterOC

Explorer
Yes, there needs to be a new round of errata, so we don't have to rely on Sage Advice.

The rule needs to actually say "an elf only needs 4 hours to complete a long rest". Until it does, it doesn't.

Currently all the rule is saying is 4 hours trance replaces 8 hours sleep. This means that in games without Sage Advice, it's perfectly possible and reasonable to rule that elves still need 8 hours to complete a long rest.

(Just as it was perfectly possible and reasonable to rule they only needed 4 before, since even before this errata the rules still only said 4 hours trance replaces 8 hours sleep!)

TL;DR: The actual rules have never given clear instructions on how elf trance interacts with long rests, and still don't.

The devs does not get away with changing a race ability from ribbon to functional (or back) through Sage Advice. If it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules.
You don't have to rely on sage advice. It is in the rules. The only true confusion there ever was was because the old sage advice was wack. It was crazy pedantic by interpreting the long rest rules in the worst possible way.
Now that THAT was fixed they could only interpret it as most people did. Which is a trance is equivalent to 8 hours thus it is the equivalent of a long rest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads