New Errata & Sage Advice Compendium (Sleep & Trance Are Fixed!)

Shouldn't that actually be the 7th printing? The last round of errata was for the 6th printing. Also, there's even errata for Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters! EDIT: I see that the D&D Conversions document has been updated to v1.01, but I can't actually see anything different at a glance.

Shouldn't that actually be the 7th printing? The last round of errata was for the 6th printing.

Also, there's even errata for Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters!

EDIT: I see that the D&D Conversions document has been updated to v1.01, but I can't actually see anything different at a glance.

I've had some clarification from Jeremy Crawford. The latest updates to the errata actually predate the 6th printing, which is why all of that printing's errata is still marked as the most recent. It's like they've errata'd the errata document.

I was wondering about that, since the errata from September of last year was for the 6th printing and has been available since then to download.

Li Shenron

Legend
It would be much simpler to just apply the extra d20 after resolving (dis)advantage.

Then, lucky+disadvantage would be better than disadvantage, but worse than advantage.

Following the sage "advice", lucky+disadvantage is actually better than lucky without disadvantage, which is a nonsense.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It would be much simpler to just apply the extra d20 after resolving (dis)advantage.

Then, lucky+disadvantage would be better than disadvantage, but worse than advantage.

Following the sage "advice", lucky+disadvantage is actually better than lucky without disadvantage, which is a nonsense.

Nonsense, or LUCKY?

JesterOC

Explorer
Nonsense, or LUCKY?
It does remind me of the character in wheel of Time. He had amazing luck, if he was about to get stabbed the best thing for him to do was to throw chaos into the mix. Since chaos situations always fell his way, being at a disadvantage was an advantage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ro

First Post
The more I think about this, it is starting to make sense. I started this post in agreement / confusion with CapnZapp. Here's my current thinking; let me know where I might be misconfused.

Borrowing from the OP, with highlights my own:

New version (from this errata):

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch.

Original version (unchanged in Player's Handbook):

Trance. Elves don't need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is "trance.") While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

New explanation from the updated Sage Advice Compendium:

Does the Trance trait allow an elf to finish a long rest in 4 hours? If an elf meditates during a long rest (as described in the Trance trait), the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours. A meditating elf otherwise follows all the rules for a long rest; only the duration is changed. [This answer has been altered as a result of a tweak to the rules for a long rest, which appears in newer printings of the Player’s Handbook.]

So, if a human sleeps for 8 hours, he has fully met the requirements of a Long Rest.

Thus, if an elf's Trance grants this exact same benefit, then a 4-hour trance also fully meets the requirements of a Long Rest.

This COULD have been included in the new definition of a Long Rest "...except for elves..."; but I think they wanted to keep away from trying to list every exception in the general rules, and instead only put any exceptions to the general rule within a specific rule.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I think I am satisfied.

The one bit that I think is still missed is this:

"Elves ... meditate deeply ... for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep."

1 hour of trance = 2 hours of sleep

And,

"A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch."

6 hours of 8 hours must be sleep: 3/4 of your minimum long rest must be sleep (or its similar, e.g. trance).

If humans and other non-elves get a long rest's worth of sleep in 6 hours and an elven trance is worth 8 hours of sleep, then an elf needs to trance for 3 hours with one hour of light activity to finish a 4-hour long rest.

Furthermore, any non-elf getting less than 8 hours of sleep or elf less than 4 hours of trance should suffer sleep deprivation penalties.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The one bit that I think is still missed is this:

"Elves ... meditate deeply ... for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep."

1 hour of trance = 2 hours of sleep

And,

"A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps for at least 6 hours and performs no more than 2 hours of light activity, such as reading, talking, eating, or standing watch."

6 hours of 8 hours must be sleep: 3/4 of your minimum long rest must be sleep (or its similar, e.g. trance).

If humans and other non-elves get a long rest's worth of sleep in 6 hours and an elven trance is worth 8 hours of sleep, then an elf needs to trance for 3 hours with one hour of light activity to finish a 4-hour long rest.

Furthermore, any non-elf getting less than 8 hours of sleep or elf less than 4 hours of trance should suffer sleep deprivation penalties.

However, the FAQ says specifically, "the elf finishes the rest after only 4 hours".

Ristamar

Adventurer
People are getting hung up on the "8 hours of sleep" comparison when it's not relevant. Admittedly, I can see why it could cause confusion, but it's not meant to be extrapolated.

The rules state elves need 4 hours of trance for a long rest (no other rest time required). All others need 8 hours of rest, at least 6 of which must be used to sleep.

Remove ads

Remove ads