New Feat: Magic in the Blood

That's just it. Rarely is a non-battlemaster interested in taking the feat. And they've likely taken it after they've already capped their main stat and picked up a couple other, more desirable feats, as a luxury because the fighter enjoys so many ASIs.

When only one subclass wants a feat, that's a sign it's weak. Not Charger or Savage Attacker weak, but below average.

IMO, even if it gave 3 points and allowed you to pick any metamagic, it would still be weak. One quickened spell per day is not a particularly great tradeoff compared to +2 to an ability score. I don't think I would take it on my sorcerer until very high level, if at all.

It's actually more interesting on a non-sorcerer. A wizard with Careful or Subtle suddenly has new options and combos for avoiding friendly fire and/or illusion use, and 2/day is probably good enough if he uses them carefully.

I agree that it's about as good as Martial Adept, and I also agree that Martial Adept is pretty weak. It's a "fun" feat, not a powerful one. Nothing would break if Martial Adept gave twice as many dice; and nothing would break if Magic In the Blood gave twice as many metamagic options.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If it's too weak as is, I think it would be better to give it a +1 to Cha rather than more metamagic options. There are very few +1 Cha feats available.

My concern is that by doing that, it would become a "must have" feat for charisma based casters.

Which group are you representing, exactly? Was there a vote? :p

No. That was just a prediction, based on what went through my own head as I read your post. "Hmmm, that's an interesting idea... wait, Caliban's right, that would actually be horrible! It turns human into the new must-have +2 Charisma race." You persuaded me initially but then refuted yourself and persuaded me on THAT too. :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
No. That was just a prediction, based on what went through my own head as I read your post. "Hmmm, that's an interesting idea... wait, Caliban's right, that would actually be horrible! It turns human into the new must-have +2 Charisma race." You persuaded me initially but then refuted yourself and persuaded me on THAT too. :)

I get you. You just happened to hit one of my pet peeves, which is when someone claims to represent a whole group of people to add weight to their statement.

But yeah, while I think there should be more +1 Charisma feats, this probably shouldn't be one of them.

Satyrn

First Post
I get you. You just happened to hit one of my pet peeves, which is when someone claims to represent a whole group of people to add weight to their statement.

But yeah, while I think there should be more +1 Charisma feats, this probably shouldn't be one of them.

Yeah, this really feels like it shouldn't boost Charisma. And I also would be against it providing any stat boost while Martial Adept remains in its current form.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
From an optimizer point of view, that would make Magic in the Blood more useful than Martial Adept, because +1 Con is useful to any character with an odd con.

So basically any spellcaster with an odd Con would find Magic in the Blood a good choice, while only martial characters who also use Int (and have an odd Int) would get full use out of Martial Adept.

Remove ads