• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Feats Survey!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
No, subclasses play a major role in preventing new classes and thus keep the game from becoming a hot mess of power creeping base classes.
then you would get pretty boring game, without many repeatability.

all rogues would be the same, all fighters the same, etc...
I love feats.
I love using and allowing feats.
I love that feats are optional on both a group and individual basis.
I hate people that dislike something being even an option and ask designers to remove it for everyone else.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

There is a vocal contingent--I've no idea the numbers, but I'm fairly sure it's a minority--that thinks all character creation choices after "I'm a human fighter with these stats" are anathema. There's no point engaging with them or discussing it, other than perhaps to say (as Li Shenron did here) "well, that's great for you, but I don't see why I should have to give up these things I really like," because there is no world where these folks will want such things. Or, as Douglas Adams sardonically put it, "In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and has widely been regarded as a bad move."

Weiley31

Legend
While I get that these particular non-UA surveys help (I think), I really hate the fact that I would want more UA with what changes they plan on doing for the PHB races for the 2024 PHB redux. Granted Elves are pretty much handled at this rate since the changes there are already seen going forward via the recent Monster of the Multiverse book.

But I'm really hoping some of the future UA for the rest of 2022/2023 is hints and stuff to 2024's PHB.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
If they could give feats more of a common structure, and if they weeded out feats that might be better represented by something else, that would reduce how much space is needed for them in the PHB, which would probably make no one happier so nevermind. ;)

I think we need to ask the question "what are feats really?" Just so it's clearer what they are in the design space.

Some of them are basically "Advanced Fighting Styles", and probably could be collapsed into there. You pick "Great Weapon Fighting" style at 1st level, later on at some higher level like 8th or whatever you get the equivalent of "Great Weapon Master"

I don't like feats competing with ability score increases, but I noted how 3e had the problem of ability score increases being too small (+1 every 4 levels) and many characters ended up having more feats than what they knew what to do with them.

Last edited:

I have a fighter in a game that houserules bonus feats:

Charger is useless, the situations where it looks like it might be useful are exteremly narrow. Definitely not worth a feat. There's a few other with similar issues; Athlete, Great Weapon Master (the cleave part, not the power attack par. That's necessary to play an effective heavy weapon fighter.)

The best feats let you do stuff outside your normal class progression: Ritual Caster is great for this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads