• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Haste - Does it Fix Your Concerns?

ForceUser

Explorer
This version of haste makes the spell useless to true spellcasters, relegating it to the status of melee buff. I'm not sure this is the answer. I will probably just stick with the way I'm doing haste now: as-is, except as a 4th level spell.

I agree with the person who says this does nothing for the Quicken Spell feat, which is a useless feat anyway given the cost of quickening a spell. Give up a 5th level spell slot for magic missle? No thank you.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Not at as a 3rd level spell. They can get the same benefit, possibly better (I don't have my books here for duration) from mage armor as a 1st level spell.) Admittedly they do stack but still.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Yeah, a lot of us saw this one coming.

I'll reserve judgement until I play Revised for a while, but after two years of Haste easily overshadowing all other 3rd level spells . . . let's just say that I'm a little more optimistic about Revised today than I was yesterday.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Mage armor lasts 600 times as long as haste. (hour/level instead of round/level). Hopefully the new version at least acts like a weapon of speed, granting the extra attack whether a standard or a full round action is spent on attacking. Otherwise the spell will be absolutely worthless. (As it is, it won't be very useful but will still have some utility because it's a stacking armor class benefit--particularly if more monsters get beefed up like the Pit Fiend apparently will; it appears that AC 40 will be insufficient at high levels). . . .

rangerjohn said:
Not at as a 3rd level spell. They can get the same benefit, possibly better (I don't have my books here for duration) from mage armor as a 1st level spell.) Admittedly they do stack but still.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This seems to be too much of a flavor limitation in favor of rules, to me, still....

I mean, wouldn't the point of a spell that made you twice as fast be to give you two actions in the time it usually took to do one?

Do what you will to make it balanced, but that seems to be the entire reason a haste spell would exist.

This? This is like a "bullet time" spell that makes it easier for you to dodge things (more valuable than Mage Armor because it also stacks with other dodge bonuses), and makes you able to move a bit quicker.

A useful spell, maybe, but not a HASTE!

I don't have a problem with haste being higher level, really (I could justify the current haste at 4th), but I want a haste spell to make me kill things faster, to make me quicker overall, etc.

Heck, I'd be more OK with this if they just made it a move-equivalent instead of this 'attack' beeswax. :)

Meh. It's a trivial problem. I still have a spell that'll do it --

SPEED
Level 3 transmutation
Affects self or one close-range creature
Affected creature gains quicker speed, doubling the movement rate and allowing the creature to take one extra move-equivalent or attack action.

Tentatively, level 4 or 5....

Kyramus

First Post
hmmmm I don't see a need to change it.

First off in the actual rules. Casting a spell is a standard action(page 148 phb).
Haste gives only +4 to ac and an extra partial action. not an extra standard action.

Apok

First Post
Kyramus said:
hmmmm I don't see a need to change it.

First off in the actual rules. Casting a spell is a standard action(page 148 phb).
Haste gives only +4 to ac and an extra partial action. not an extra standard action.

With a Partial Action, you can do anything you could normally do with a Standard Action minus a move. You may cast a spell & move with a Standard Action. Ergo, you can cast a spell as a Partial Action.

Quinn

First Post
Re: New Haste

Haste has been my personal bugbear as a DM for a little while now. Every spellcaster and his brother had it, everyone was firing off multiple lightning bolts, fireballs, or magic missiles per round, and the only way to present a challenging fight was to come up with multiple creatures who had magical resistances. I gave the spell to enemy spellcasters, and battles were typically won based upon which spellcaster came first in the initative.

I would've liked to see some way to allow spellcasters to still cast multiple spells but if the spell were first or second level, but this seemed arbitrary to me. Part of the problem was nearly every spell is a 1-action spell, so it was difficult to think of a way around it. As for suggestions that the spell just needs to be made a 4th level spell, it doesn't hold water IMO. If I were playing a wizard, I'd take Haste as originally written over nearly every other spell up to about 7th or maybe even 8th level. I think it's that powerful. Also, upping the spell level on Haste would no longer make it the same level as Slow. Maybe not a very convincing reason, but for old times sake, I like having these opposite spells at the same level.

So an extra attack. Still makes a helluva buff spell, and very useful for multi-class spellcasters (i.e. fighter/wizard, rogue/wizard, etc.) The +4 AC is nothing to sniff at. In the heat of a battle, it could still save a wizard's life, but it won't turn him into death incarnate any longer. Is Haste still a must have at 3rd level? Cast upon your strongest fighter type, it can still allow massive amounts of damage to be dealt out each round. I'd still consider getting it as soon as I could if I were playing a wizard or sorcerer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads