• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Haste - Does it Fix Your Concerns?

Kyramus

First Post
Apok said:

With a Partial Action, you can do anything you could normally do with a Standard Action minus a move. You may cast a spell & move with a Standard Action. Ergo, you can cast a spell as a Partial Action.

Nope. It's stated that casting a spell is a standard action. NOT a partial action.

Logically drinking a potion is a standard action, do you allow two potions when in the influence of a haste spell? I don't.

hong

WotC's bitch
rangerjohn said:
On a related note with no partial actions I guess surprise means nothing now? Tell me again why a spell caster is casting this spell? To let the fighter show him up even more?

In my experience, high-level wizards (and probably sorcs) have never had problems with fighters showing them up, haste or no haste.

Someone above sited haste as being to powerful because a cleric could cast two flamestrikes, its better for the cleric to be fully buffed and attacking three or four times?

Yep. A flamestrike is an area effect spell, whereas a melee attack targets one person. And flamestrike is hardly the best area effect spell there is; and clerics are kinda broken anyway.

hong

WotC's bitch
Kyramus said:

Nope. It's stated that casting a spell is a standard action. NOT a partial action.

You can (in general) do anything with a partial action that you could do with a standard action. A partial action _is_ a standard action, less the move part.

Logically drinking a potion is a standard action, do you allow two potions when in the influence of a haste spell? I don't.

I do.

For the problem with "who wins iniative wins the battle" you could houserule that everyone who's hasted gets their extra action after all normal actions. If multiple persons are hasted, they go at the end of the round in order of normal iniative.

Storminator

First Post
The Fifth Elephant said:
For the problem with "who wins iniative wins the battle" you could houserule that everyone who's hasted gets their extra action after all normal actions. If multiple persons are hasted, they go at the end of the round in order of normal iniative.

Or you could change Haste to a full round casting spell. You wouldn't get the effects until the next round, and foes would have a chance to disrupt it.

PS

tburdett

Explorer
Eridanis said:
Well, now we know what's happening to haste, at least. Does giving only an attack, instead of a partial action (a term that will no longer exist) solve your concerns about the spell's power?

I implemented the changes to this spell, and the changes to Shield, as soon as I read them in d20 Modern.

I was expecting some resistance from the players when I first mentioned the possible changes, but instead received their full support. Nobody misses seeing the Sorcerer cast three spells a round (haste, quickened, standard).

I gave each caster the opportunity to select a different spell if they no longer wanted to use the 'changed' spells, but no one took advantage of that.

Last edited:

Mortaneus

First Post
Kyramus said:

Check page 127 of the PHB. There's a little table there listing possible partial actions. Read the first line under the 'Magic Partial Actions' section.

Mortaneus

First Post
Personally, I think what I'll do IMC is to use the d20 Modern version of haste, with one simple change.

Currently, d20 Modern Haste gives an extra attack during a full attack, gives a +2 dodge bonus to AC, and increases speed by 30ft.

My change for D&D is simple. Increase the 1 rnd/lvl duration to 10 min/lvl.

It makes it a generally useful buff spell, that lasts as long as fly. I'd say that's worth it for a 3rd level spell.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
IMO haste is now going from a must have to a never take. I personally would rather take another fireball and do 10d6 damage rather than buff a fighter.

Quicken never taken it, still won't.

Remove ads