• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General New Interview with Rob Heinsoo About 4E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurotowa

Legend
This was the biggest reason why my players (who go back to AD&D) never took to skill challenges.

Well, that and they wanted to just short-circuit the whole thing. I was running an adventure from Scales of War that had a skill challenge to find their way through a forest. They wanted to just tie a rope to the ankle of a person who could fly and have that person direct them.
While I bailed on 4e fairly early, I do keep hearing some variation of this from those who stuck with it longer. Even if the design intention wasn't to replicate a video game environment where only certain pre-scripted skill interactions were allowed, it sure seems like a lot of groups fell into treating them that way. And to twist a phrase, once is an accident, twice is coincidence, but if it's happening that often then it's a design flaw.

Gimby

Explorer
True, but that was a limit of the time, with a novel type of mechanic, and they still bound it to the gameworld with the fatigue mechanic.
I don't think I'd agree - you dispatch the orcs and need to climb a cliff before the goblins show up. When does the encounter end? Do you take a penalty to your climb rolls from fatigue? 3.5 has no answer. You rage once in the morning and spend a few hours in relaxation, you still can't rage again. If "disassociated mechanics" are a real thing then 3.5 Barbarian Rage 100% fits any definition you'd apply to 4e mechanics.

mamba

Legend
It looks like great presentation to me. I'm not looking for flowery language when I'm trying to resolve an action; I want to resolve the action and get on with play.

Or put another way, I want to be immersed in my play, not in the text of the rulebook.
and I prefer to be inspired by the text instead of it being sterile. The 4e text actively discourages me from reading it and by extension using 4e

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This was the biggest reason why my players (who go back to AD&D) never took to skill challenges.

Well, that and they wanted to just short-circuit the whole thing. I was running an adventure from Scales of War that had a skill challenge to find their way through a forest. They wanted to just tie a rope to the ankle of a person who could fly and have that person direct them.
That's awesome. I'd say that's an auto win. Let them have it and move on. Same with spells. The world comes first. What makes sense in the fiction comes first. If they "short circuit" the skill challenge with clever thinking or spells, they beat it. Simple as. But yeah, I 100% get the "Nah, let's just play an old-school game" sentiment. I'm right there with you.

Kaiyanwang

Adventurer
I don't think I'd agree - you dispatch the orcs and need to climb a cliff before the goblins show up. When does the encounter end? Do you take a penalty to your climb rolls from fatigue? 3.5 has no answer. You rage once in the morning and spend a few hours in relaxation, you still can't rage again. If "disassociated mechanics" are a real thing then 3.5 Barbarian Rage 100% fits any definition you'd apply to 4e mechanics.
Correct. But 3.5 does this just for the Barbarian, and as an example PF1e changed it to include rounds of duration. 3.5 doesn't have this concept as an integral part of the design like 4e does - but I understand I struck a nerve here.

Undrave

Legend
"I failed a Diplomacy check - why did I lose a Healing Surge?"
Why would that happen? Not every failiure has the same effect.
"Why can't we just have the barbarian with the highest Endurance check make 4 successes?"
Again, they're not supposed to realize you're counting up successes and failures. They're just trying to accomplish a thing as a team and you track their success and failures to help you know what the consequences would be.
"My highest check is Stealth. I want to use Stealth during the Diplomatic negotiations challenge - why not?"
I'd ask them to describe what they are doing that requires them to be Stealthy and what they want to accomplish.
"Okay, if Riley needs a 12 Perception to succeed, do I also need a 12 Streetwise? What's the difference?"
What are they trying to do? And again, they shouldn't know that stuff.
"Can't we just fight our way through this instead?"
Well now that's just a classic murderhobo :p
If I pay a designer to build an Efreeti, I want to know how to handle its wish granting because I guarantee you, that Efreeti will grant wishes.
Well to be fair a Wish would be something the PC could do.
Fantastic. Thanks. Now stretch the interval to see what I mean.
I don't see what you mean no? If nothing happens for 5 minutes, you have officially taken a short rest and the encounter is over. 4e is very much non-ambiguous about its durations and I don't know why you keep hammering on that point?
Okay? then they can just use bypass the challenge by spending the ability to fly.
While I bailed on 4e fairly early, I do keep hearing some variation of this from those who stuck with it longer. Even if the design intention wasn't to replicate a video game environment where only certain pre-scripted skill interactions were allowed, it sure seems like a lot of groups fell into treating them that way. And to twist a phrase, once is an accident, twice is coincidence, but if it's happening that often then it's a design flaw.
Yeah they were badly explained and it's pretty difficult to make a good one because sometimes you get to the end and realize you forgot to come up for a situation where the party fails. Like I said, the best way I found is to just not tell the PC 'you are in a skill challenge'.
and I prefer to be inspired by the text instead of it being sterile. The 4e text actively discourages me from reading it and by extension using 4e
I don't think they expected you to read the Power/Item Lists like a novel. I think I never read a class power list beyond like... level 3 encounter powers until I reached a specific level.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Fallcrest was my starting location of choice for a lot of my own 5e games. I also replaced Kobold Hall with Sunless Citadel, using that as an intro adventure to provide some hooks into the world.
Nice. I keep hearing about Sunless but have never read, played, or run it. How railroady is it?

Oofta

Legend
In both. The 4e Short Rest is 5 minutes, the 5e short rest is one hour. Both games have the same round length. No ambiguity. 4e calls them 'Encounter Power' but it's the same damn thing as a Short Rest power because they recharge on a Short Rest, only that a 4e Short Rest is ACTUALLY short. An 'encounter' only ends when you take a short rest. This is all spelled out in the rules and there is no ambiguity like you think there is.

Encounter powers bear little resemblance to resources regained on a short rest. You can have multiple encounters per short rest, my monk had several ki points they could spend with the ability to do a variety of things and so on.

It's apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads