D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Scribe

Legend
Homebrew banned at the Free Tier seem 10% fine to me.

You don't get server memory space to create stuff for fee.

I'm sorry. At a certain point, D&D fans have to spend money. Everything can be free. Not just for WOTC but 3rd party publishers. I mean this whole disaster happened because Hasbro finally looked at D&D, realized at a table of 5 people only 2 of them were spending money, and went "how do I snatch money out the other 3?"

Wizbro profits last year are what?

Clint_L

Hero
Thinking about this more, the price is irrelevant. Let's assume that people have the right to spend their money how they choose, and are fully capable of making their own decisions on what is worth what. Where I live, people pay $1250 for season's tickets to see the Victoria Royals, a junior league hockey club. This boggles my mind, but that is their business, and I assume they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it was worth it.

If Hasbro can get tons of people to pay $30/month for a subscription, good for them. They will have obviously come up with something tons of people thought was good value.

I'm sorry. At a certain point, D&D fans have to spend money. Everything can be free. Not just for WOTC but 3rd party publishers. I mean this whole disaster happened because Hasbro finally looked at D&D, realized at a table of 5 people only 2 of them were spending money, and went "how do I snatch money out the other 3?"
I mean, at the moment, we really don't - which is what they're trying to fix. Right now, you can buy the three core books and you and your friends can have fun for the rest of your lives. Not to indulge in conspiracy thinking, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about "a new streamlined, digital age for DMs going forward" in the next few years.

Yaarel

He Mage
I mean - the price, as others have pointed out, is real high but plausible. I'm more skeptical in a "who on earth is this for?" sort of way.
Hasbro-WotC plans this price point for everyone who plays D&D 6e digitally.

Also, it would become impossible to publish homebrew products for 6e − except thru the DnDBeyond-DMsGuild-VTT market entity.

All new 6e content will lack Open Gaming Content.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Wizbro profits last year are what?
The numbers only go up.

I work in sales. If doesn't matter what you make last year. Next year you are expected to make more money. The first thing I said to my boss this year is "This year you project me to sell how much?"

Remove ads