• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Magic item (My players stay out)

Davek

First Post
Greetings,

Is it possible to create an arrow that when it strikes a target it teleports the subject as per the spell (in a random direction and distance).

How would I calc the cost, with a saving throw, without a saving throw?

Thanks,

Darklone

Which spell would you want to use to teleport someone without a save? You can only teleport willing targets... That means you would have to knock the target unconscious at first... is there a spell somewhere for that? ;)

Thanee

First Post
Teleport only works on willing targets. Teleportation Circle does circumvent this by having the target walk into the circle, but still doesn't actively teleport the target.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Davek

First Post
Hmmmm..................

I guess I will have to think of something else, or create something from scratch.

I want something similar to Maze, yet without the interplanar stuff, and that can be embeded in objects. Maybe with a very limited distance or something.

If there is anything in the rules that will allow for this, I'm open to suggestions.
If not maybe this can be moved to the House rules and home-made solutions may be solicited.

Last edited:

Darklone

Hmm, what about a Power Word Kill variant spell (or with that silly Subdual Substitution feat) that knocks the opponent out instead of killing him AND teleports the unconscious (thus willing) target?

You'd need two spells on one arrow, one of them metamagicked... don't think that would work?

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Oh, and just a little heads up about that teleporting idea... if you could teleport someone like this, then you could teleport them into certain death (i.e. right above the hot lava of a volcano). That with a simple arrow hit (not very hard for even a first level wizard using True Strike)? No, thank! ;)

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Spatzimaus

First Post
This already exists, in the Psionics Handbook. From the SRD:

Dislocator: The wielder of this weapon can attempt to dislocate a designated foe up to three times per day. On a successful hit, the foe must succeed at a Will save (DC 17) or be teleported 1-100 miles in a random direction. If the weapon misses, the use is wasted. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on their ammunition. Manifester Level: 12th; Prerequisites: Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, teleport; Market Price: +3 bonus.

Great Dislocator: The wielder of this weapon can attempt to dislocate a designated foe up to three times per day. On a successful hit, the foe must succeed at a Will save (DC 20) or be cast into a random alternate plane of existence (such as the Astral Plane, the Plane of Shadow, or even the Abyss). If the weapon misses, the use is wasted. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow their effects upon their ammunition. Manifester Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, plane shift; Market Price: +4 bonus.

If you wanted to make versions with no save and/or a definite destination point, I'd be really careful since like has been pointed out, it can be insta-death depending on the circumstances. It's powerful enough as is. Hit a Fighter with a Dislocator arrow, and he probably is out of the fight for good. And, DC 17/20 Will saves aren't something to ignore.

Last edited:

Davek

First Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to re-evaluate exactly what I want to do. I think that I really want just a major inconvenience, not a potential instant death scenario. One of the objects is expected to fall into the hands of the party so it should be useful, but I don't want it to destroy my plots instantly.

Remove ads