D&D 5E New Mulhorand (FR) Campaign Guide available on DM's Guild, with Ed Greenwood as co-author

Just stumbled across this:

Mulhorand Campaign Guide

I've only had time for a quick skim, but it looks pretty good so far. Decent run-down of the nation and its history, good descriptions of the cities and towns with adventure hooks, and lots of ruins to explore (given what happened to the nation during the Spellplague period, this was to be expected), as well as some useful general info on desert campaigns. There's a decent bestiary, with Apep being statted out as a CR 27 creature, plus Dune Worms, which are exactly what you would expect them to be!

Interestingly, they do keep the Egyptian pantheon.

Oh hell yes, I'm all over this. I love Mulhorand and its surrounding areas - Unther, Estagund, the Great Rift, etc are some of my favourite parts of the Realms. Though it's a bit odd to see Ed Greenwood's name on it, as I'm pretty sure he distinctly does NOT love Mulhorand or the other bits of Faerun where other authors and designers transplanted quasi-earth cultures in the TSR era.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh hell yes, I'm all over this. I love Mulhorand and its surrounding areas - Unther, Estagund, the Great Rift, etc are some of my favourite parts of the Realms. Though it's a bit odd to see Ed Greenwood's name on it, as I'm pretty sure he distinctly does NOT love Mulhorand or the other bits of Faerun where other authors and designers transplanted quasi-earth cultures in the TSR era.
Maybe he wants to take a stab at "fixing" it?

Sure, it's is not official

But the SCAG is official and they are in it. And honestly it's at least semi-canon because of Ed Greenwood.

And WotC won't actually remove them because last time they did remove them in 4e, there was such a huge backlash that they had to put them back in. No they will ignore then whenever they can and then take the take the cop out and never refer to them by name, referring only to the Mulhorandi Sun God, instead of Ra or only Collectively as the God Pharohs.

It's so biazzarre that they are still completely okay with selling tons of products that refer to them ad long it's not the studio that does it.

The only thing is am insulting farce.

I really wish / hope WotC can start doing some marketing for setting creators who create Guild supplements for their settings. I really think Keith and Ed's work should get the D&D Beyond treatment that the CR team is getting, maybe more so even.

Oh heck, when was the last time WotC acknowledged Ed even exists? He didn't even get a mention in the credits of the D&D movie which was straight up ignorant.

dave2008

Legend
Oh heck, when was the last time WotC acknowledged Ed even exists? He didn't even get a mention in the credits of the D&D movie which was straight up ignorant.
IDK, but Sage Advice gave a shout out to him in Jan. of this year: Ed Greenwood is working on a new Volo's guide. As well as 4 similar posts in 2022 and more before that. He is also mentioned in several of the 5e books. And supposedly WotC "approved" his Border Kingdoms book back in 2020.

How often should he be acknowledge and what form should that acknowledgement take?

EDIT: Also, my post was an acknowledgement of WotC following up on their plan to be more inclusive of outside creators. They started with CR, it would be great if that continues with EG and KB. We can keep this positive can't we?

Last edited:

IDK, but Sage Advice gave a shout out to him in Jan. of this year: Ed Greenwood is working on a new Volo's guide. As well as 4 similar posts in 2022 and more before that. He is also mentioned in several of the 5e books. And supposedly WotC "approved" his Border Kingdoms book back in 2020.

How often should he be acknowledge and what form should that acknowledgement take?

EDIT: Also, my post was an acknowledgement of WotC following up on their plan to be more inclusive of outside creators. They started with CR, it would be great if that continues with EG and KB. We can keep this positive can't we?

My bad, I don't read sage advice, my apologies. He still deserved an acknowledgement in the credits of the movie.

JSilman

Villager
Hi all, John here! Someone pointed me to this thread, and more than happy to answer any questions about the book :)

Just stumbled across this:

Mulhorand Campaign Guide

I've only had time for a quick skim, but it looks pretty good so far. Decent run-down of the nation and its history, good descriptions of the cities and towns with adventure hooks, and lots of ruins to explore (given what happened to the nation during the Spellplague period, this was to be expected), as well as some useful general info on desert campaigns. There's a decent bestiary, with Apep being statted out as a CR 27 creature, plus Dune Worms, which are exactly what you would expect them to be!

Interestingly, they do keep the Egyptian pantheon.

To note: the Mulhorandi pantheon is part of the ancient Egyptian pantheon, however not all of it. The book explains why this is, so I won't spoil it - but only part of the pantheon elected to venture to Toril on Re's solar barge. Others, such as Anubis and Khepri, stayed behind.

Ed was instrumental in the book's development and was involved in the content including a foreword in the guise of our favourite wizard. It's true his original version of the Realms did not base any part of it on real world historical analogy; Mulhorand, Unther etc. were added later. However, he's certainly not anti-Mulhorand as it is in the official lore, and was very keen to be involved with bringing the 'canon' version of the realms into the present 5th edition timeline.

And though it's unlikely WotC will ever release an official version of FR locations such as Mulhorand (let's be honest it's unlikely they'll step outside of the Sword Coast) that's why we have DMsguild to keep these locations fleshed out and alive in the lore :) The book is doing really well, currently the 3rd most popular title on DMG, and well on the way to being able to print on demand which is fantastic! Thanks to all who have supported it and please do spread the word to anyone who may be interested.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Remove ads