D&D 5E New Mulhorand (FR) Campaign Guide available on DM's Guild, with Ed Greenwood as co-author

dave2008

Legend
Congratulations! Your earned a silver metal:

1699444396993.png

I've put this in my wish list too!

Hi all, John here! Someone pointed me to this thread, and more than happy to answer any questions about the book :)

To note: the Mulhorandi pantheon is part of the ancient Egyptian pantheon, however not all of it. The book explains why this is, so I won't spoil it - but only part of the pantheon elected to venture to Toril on Re's solar barge. Others, such as Anubis and Khepri, stayed behind.

Ed was instrumental in the book's development and was involved in the content including a foreword in the guise of our favourite wizard. It's true his original version of the Realms did not base any part of it on real world historical analogy; Mulhorand, Unther etc. were added later. However, he's certainly not anti-Mulhorand as it is in the official lore, and was very keen to be involved with bringing the 'canon' version of the realms into the present 5th edition timeline.

And though it's unlikely WotC will ever release an official version of FR locations such as Mulhorand (let's be honest it's unlikely they'll step outside of the Sword Coast) that's why we have DMsguild to keep these locations fleshed out and alive in the lore :) The book is doing really well, currently the 3rd most popular title on DMG, and well on the way to being able to print on demand which is fantastic! Thanks to all who have supported it and please do spread the word to anyone who may be interested.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

It's truly amazing, very deep and immersive book. The subclasses are deep and fun as well. So many plot seeds, its like you took seeds from both Old Empires 2e book and the SCAG, and ran with it.

Loved the Planar Rifts.

Book had some cool surprises I wasn't expecting.

Loved the art as well, for example that cover is the best 5e cover I've ever seen.

Why can't WotC make setting books of this quality?

Only real complaint was no mention of the Celestial Nadir, which was the extraplanar holding I was assumed they were referring to when they mentioned some Imaskari fled to extraplanar locations in the SCAG. It's basically a Imaskari Demiplane Megadungeon. Unless I missed it?

Weiley31

Legend
Is this book like in the similar vein of the Border Kingdoms, Thay: Lands of the Red Wizards, Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim , and Rashemen Campaign Guide?

It's truly amazing, very deep and immersive book. The subclasses are deep and fun as well. So many plot seeds, its like you took seeds from both Old Empires 2e book and the SCAG, and ran with it.

Loved the Planar Rifts.

Loved the art as well, for example that cover is the best 5e cover I've ever seen.

Only real complaint was no mention of the Celestial Nadir, which was the extraplanar holding I was assumed they were referring to when they mentioned some Imaskari fled to extraplanar locations in the SCAG. It's basically a Imaskari Demiplane Megadungeon. Unless I missed it?
Really? There is nothing wrong with that cover, but it doesn’t make the top 5 (maybe not even top 10) for 5e covers by WotC IMO. Everyone is different I guess!

JSilman

Villager

Loved the Planar Rifts.

Thanks so much for the kind words! If you would consider leaving a rating/review on DMG that would be a great help :)

The Celestial Nadir is mentioned several times in the history chapter; the Imaskari sealed the Pandorym in there during the Mulani uprising, as well as in the section about Empress Ususi and the creation of High Imaskar. It has mostly been kept sealed to avoid the Elder Evil escaping. Ususi did use it to transport the Palace of the Purple Emperor to what is now Skyclave, and would still have had the ability to access it, however she died during the final battles with Pharaoh Horuskhet I and thus Skyclave was abandoned rather than teleported away.

There is mention of others stumbling upon the Nadir by accident, so if you want to include it in your campaign as an extra dimensional mega dungeon then I think that's an awesome idea!

Is this book like in the similar vein of the Border Kingdoms, Thay: Lands of the Red Wizards, Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim , and Rashemen Campaign Guide?

Very much so! Probably closest in scale and content to the Thay guide, which is Mulhorand's northern neighbour so the two books work together quite well (the two nations have quite the history between them!)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for the kind words! If you would consider leaving a rating/review on DMG that would be a great help :)

The Celestial Nadir is mentioned several times in the history chapter; the Imaskari sealed the Pandorym in there during the Mulani uprising, as well as in the section about Empress Ususi and the creation of High Imaskar. It has mostly been kept sealed to avoid the Elder Evil escaping. Ususi did use it to transport the Palace of the Purple Emperor to what is now Skyclave, and would still have had the ability to access it, however she died during the final battles with Pharaoh Horuskhet I and thus Skyclave was abandoned rather than teleported away.

There is mention of others stumbling upon the Nadir by accident, so if you want to include it in your campaign as an extra dimensional mega dungeon then I think that's an awesome idea!

Very much so! Probably closest in scale and content to the Thay guide, which is Mulhorand's northern neighbour so the two books work together quite well (the two nations have quite the history between them!)

Hope that helps :)

I was very familiar with the History of Mulhorand so I skimmed that part and moved more towards the current events, player options, and monsters, so that's my bad. Thanks.

Yeah Mulhorand/Old Empires region is my favourite part of FR, so I'm thrilled with this campaign guide.

Although now that I've discovered Achea, an obscure Greco-Roman island nation hundreds of miles away from Faerun in the Trackless Sea, that was placed in FR in Tales of the Outer Planes (originally Achea was setting neutral from a previous adventure, but Ray Winninger placed it in FR in TotOP and added a materal plane Mountain Olympus that acted as a portal to Arborea's Mount Olympus because FR had no Gods connected to Mount Olympus directly, so this allowed players from the at the time newly published FR to play his Mount Olympus adventure).

Remove ads