New News Page Layout

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.
Anyhow, with the caveat that nobody likes change, let me know how you get on with it. It may stay, or it may go back to the old way. Switching it back is only a single click away!

Blackbrrd

First Post
My suggestion:
a) drop big box*, keep two-column format
b) keep big box, switch back to old one-column format.

Btw, maybe removing the "xxxx/yyyy views" text on each article. It basically just clutters the front page taking up space, pushing news further down.

*The one with 7 news item in it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it, but I miss that the old format automatically generated a forum topic. I'm not sure whats going on with this new format. Some news stories (like this one) can be commented, but not as part of the forum; some news stories (like http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2067-D-d-5E-Rules-Summary-Sheet#.VHKaJDSUe4I) don't appear to have any way to comment at all.

Oh, the forum thread linking was always manual, not automatic. It's not related to the format, just what I manually link it to.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Error on front page, above content:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /var/www/virtual/enworld/forum/packages/vbcms/widget/execphp.php(191) : eval()'d code on line 46

Toriel

Explorer
The only thing I find is missing is the date the news was added. I usually read them by date and scroll to the last date I read when I miss for a few days.

Guyanthalas

First Post
I think with frequent use I'll the hang of it, and trying hard not to just be "Change is bad!!!" kinda guy.

I agree with [MENTION=38630]Toriel[/MENTION], dates will be more important with this kind of layout.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I like it, since it'll enable you to add blocks of news at the top throughout a day without creating an entirely new section. I was okay with the previous layout; however, I like this one better. And I actually don't think it looks a great deal like other sites.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it, since it'll enable you to add blocks of news at the top throughout a day without creating an entirely new section. I was okay with the previous layout; however, I like this one better. And I actually don't think it looks a great deal like other sites.

That is one benefit. I can now add smaller items that I might have put off for the day, because I know they won't knock something important off the page.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads