• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

My head hurts. At 45:21, he states as fact that people play Warlocks as melee characters, akin to Paladins and Rangers? What game does this dude work on again? Is he confusing 5e D&D with WoW Classic: Wrath of the Lich King?

Edit: I was Team-WotC all through the OGL debacle, but this Warlock disrespect has lost me. The way this is looking, I may as well play Pathfinder. My biggest strike against Pathfinder was that it didn't have the 5e Warlock! Second biggest strike is how it handles XP, but I'd rather houserule my own xp-for-gold system in PF than try to homebrew my own fixed Warlock class.

This is just a playtest, I doubt this will survive feed back, so don't worry so much. What I think will happen is instead they go with pack magic, but replace short rests for getting magic back, with something like a pact magic version of Arcane Recovery that can be used 2 to 3 times a day, and maybe an extra slot.

Baumi

Adventurer
In my campaigns I just trippled the number of Pact Magic Slots and made it per Long Rest. Simple and works fine, makes the class even a bit more flexible.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It worked great for Dresden in the Dresden files. It's really quite flavorful. Like they said in the video about this, it's particularly fun if the two patrons don't like each other.
Harry Dresden is a sorcerer/wizard/warlock juggling 1-4 pacts at the same time.

The new rules for subclasses works better for him now as none of the PHB sorcerer pacts match is origin and Harry is rocking at least 2 pacts at all times.

I suggest waiting for the revised edition ;)

There's not really a reason to wait.

The fundamental game is not changing and while aligment will be gone and some classes changed quite significantly, it's going to be backwards compatible. Plus Archives of Nethys will have the changes on it for free.

The revised books do look like they will be better as IMO the changes all sound good, but I think starting now and adapting the changes should be easy enough.

One D&D is a much larger departure than Remastered for example.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Well, all-in-all I dont care much for the propositions of the playtest for now.

There's some good changes in there, but I think I'll just steal whatever revamped features I like and replace the old ones from the PHB. Kinda like alternate features from Tasha's.

Barbarian:
Longer rage + bonus action maintain
Berserker's features as a whole

Sorcerer:
Most new spells.
Arcane Apotheosis
Sorcerous Restoration at 15th

Fighter:
Improved Indomitable
Unconquerable
Champion as a whole

Wizard:
Modify/Create spells as feature.

Warlock:
Pact of Blade
Known patron spells

Remathilis

Legend
There's not really a reason to wait.

The fundamental game is not changing and while aligment will be gone and some classes changed quite significantly, it's going to be backwards compatible. Plus Archives of Nethys will have the changes on it for free.

The revised books do look like they will be better as IMO the changes all sound good, but I think starting now and adapting the changes should be easy enough.

One D&D is a much larger departure than Remastered for example.
It's closer to a .2 or .3, but they are doing reworked monsters, spells and fixing a few classes. It's less reworked than OneD&D is, but it still might be worth waiting for the updates if you're going to shell out for books..

One major buff no one is talking about to the Warlock and Sorcerer is the fact that they have a much larger, less restrictive access to the Arcane spell list, your Sorcerer can now cast Conjure Elemental if they want or True Polymorph (True Polymorph not being on the Sorcerer's Spell list when it felt very in flavour for the class has bugged me for years).

Last edited:

It's closer to a .2 or .3, but they are doing reworked monsters, spells and fixing a few classes. It's less reworked than OneD&D is, but it still might be worth waiting for the updates if you're going to shell out for books..
Maybe. The fact Archives of Nethys exist means that it is fairly easy to play without having the rule books regardless, so from that point of view waiting is a good idea.

But if you want to play now and you want physical books or a PDF, I would go for it. The changes can be fairly easily adapted later down the line.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads