New PC Brainstorming

Obryn

Hero
Is this intentional or is there a clarification/errata out there that corrects this?
There's been no errata, so far. What there are, are new PPs in Martial Power 1 & 2 which don't specify a combat style, such as Sharpshooter.

With that said, it's a completely reasonable houserule that your DM should consider.

-O

Saagael

First Post
I've been playing a Starlock for almost two years, and here's what I've found:

The class is harder to optimize, since it requires learning a lot of little tricks, and specializing. You can't just jump in and do top damage. That said, it's a fun class to play, since warlocks have some of the most unique powers I've seen.

I'll parrot that you should chose half-elf as your race. It's really nice to have both options for power choice, since a lot of the time you'll see a nice power that you really want, but find out that it uses the wrong stat. For starting stats, I'd say start with 16 charisma and constitution (before ratials), and either 13 strength for chainmail, or 12 strength and 12 dex so that you can qualify for dual-implement spellcasting and chainmail proficiency at paragon (or with one stat bump).

For a half-elf dilitante, I would recommend either a bard or sorcerer power, since they use charisma, and I'm pretty sure there was a rule somewhere that let you get away without using those classes implements for their powers.

Take Improved Fate of the Void as early as possible (even before action surge). I don't know how many times that extra +2 has helped with my attacks (it also somewhat mitigates only starting with 15 cha/con if you choose to do so).

Lastly, enjoy the role-playing. Starlocks are all about the crazy, insane and maddening, so I would hope you enjoy that kind of tihng.

For background, a lot of what's been said is good. There was a dragon article that described patrons from the various pacts, which was a great read if you have DDI.

If you'd like, I can post my (slightly optimized) starlock build if you want an example.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you'd like, I can post my (slightly optimized) starlock build if you want an example.
Post it if you like- I probably can't use most of it (PHB1 only, after all), but someone else may find some use in it...

Heck, I might find it useful down the road if we play more 4Ed.

At this point, I'm strongly leaning towards the Dwarf...

In his family tree, there are stories of oddball uncles and insane ancestors with unhealthy interest in astronomy & the Far Realms. His own personal interest was sparked when he came across a meteor in a crater, which he took home. A little cutting and polishing revealed amazing things...nickel-iron from space infused with peridot!

Researching this odd material led him to the notes of his ancestors...and their belief that such stones were created in the Far Realms, possibly as (failed) seeds of new kinds of aberrations launched into the Prime Material Plane to mutate it into something more like their plane of origin.

This theory and others he found within the ancient tomes drove him to find a new purpose in life: the destruction of Aberrations wherever he could. He would fight fire with fire...or chaos with chaos!

A name has been chosen: Magnus Malleus. Given his background, I wanted his last name to be "Starhammer" but that would be something like Stellamalleus or Astermalleus...not quite what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Name change: Magnus Skyhammer sounds a bit better...more "Dwarven" and it ties nicely into his family heritage.

In other news, I've been looking towards this PC's development. If he multiclasses as wizard, he'll be able to take power swap feats to get more wizard powers, so I was perusing what feats out there work for wizard.

Expanded spellbook caught my eye pretty quickly. However, am I right in my reading of it that its essentially useless to someone who is a wizard by virtue of the multiclass feat? IOW, is it true that Expanded Spellbook only helps PCs that are wizards in their primary class or are Hybrids?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I want to thank you guys for all the help you've given me designing Magnus Skyhammer.

At this point, I've got a design I can easily Hybridize if the DM opens up things.

I discovered that the ONLY ways to get him the Dungeoneering Skill were either Skill Training or Multiclassing into Ranger. I opted for the latter.

Inspired by Dave Vanian's look in the Damned's [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblor-04xeE&feature=related"]"Shadow of Love"[/ame] ...his background will include a harrowing encounter with an Aberration which turned all but a 3" stripe of his hair white.

I had one final line of questions about feat selection:

Given the nature of combat in 4Ed, I'm looking for whatever boosts I can get to attacks and damage, but I'm wondering about which ones are worth it:

1. Dwarven Weapon Training gives a +2 bonus AND proficiency with all axes and hammers- that should boost melee damage significantly. Since this guy is kind of gishy, I think this could matter.
  2. Legendary Hunter boosts Hunter's Quarry from d6s to d8s. This Feat would essentially give me a +1 damage boost to a single encounter power.
  3. Improved Fate of the Void gets me an additional +1 from this Pact ability. Combined with Hunter's Quarry and Warlock's Curse and careful foe selection, FotV should net me a fairly steady stream of bonus points in a given combat.
  4. I was wondering if the +1 damage from Feats like Astral Fire, Burning Blizzard and Dark Fury are really worth it. Starpact powers are evenly distributed across the damage types these feats deliver...and to get them all would require 13's in all but 1 stat, so I'd have to choose carefully.*

* One power has both Radiant and Cold damage types: if I had the damage booster for each type, would I get +2 damage with that power or, as I suspect, would I only get a single +1?

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
if it's a feat bonus (it is), it doesn't stack. :( But the feats are pretty nice, even still, since the damage increase is welcome with lower stats. Remember that a +1 to damage is equal to 6 magic item levels or 2 ability score points, you just don't get ALL the benefits those would provide.

Saagael

First Post
Dwarven Weapon Training
Only if you plan on using a Pact Hammer for most of your career. Spending stat points in strength for MBAs is kind of moot since you'll have a high Con (except for chain armor proficiency).
Legendary Hunter
This is an average of 2 extra damage every battle, assuming you hit on the turn you use the quarry, and hit on the following turn. The elemental feats would probably be more useful, in my opinion.
Improved Fate of the Void
I took this feat at level one and have never regretted it. It's amazing how a +2 to any attack or save helps out. This is my recommendation, since it doesn't matter how much damage you do if you don't hit, and there are times when you're guaranteed a hit by how many FotV bonuses you have (thank you minions), which is a nice time to blow a daily or really good encounter power.
Astral Fire, Burning Blizzard and Dark Fury
As a star pact warlock, I'm going to take Astral Fire, but not until late paragon or epic, since at that point the bonus will be more significant. Then again, I'm really focusing on fire/radiant powers with arcane admixture and a wider selection of powers. Since the core books don't offer as much, I'd say wait on these and see if your DM lets you pick from more stuff.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
4Ed is, of course, still a game of Feat-starved PCs, so evaluating those feats is going to be tricky for me. He simply won't have the necessary # of feats to take them all, given other PC design considerations.

• Astral Fire (13Dex+Cha) would affect 4 Starpact powers.
  • Burning Blizzard (13Int+Wis) affects 4 Starpact powers.
  • Dark Fury (13Con+Wis) affects 5 Starpact powers.
  • 6 Starpact powers are affected by none of those feats.
  • By my count, 9 Starpact powers are Con dependent as opposed to 7 Cha dependent ones.

Of course, some of the powers that inspired me to take Starpact Warlock in the first place are Radiant powers depend on Con....

And qualifying for Ranger requires 13 Str or Dex...and Chainmail proficiency requires Str & Con 13

He's M.A.D. I tell you...M.A.D.! M.A.D.! OH yeah...and MAD as well.;)

Remove ads