New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

CrusaderX

First Post
I haven't seen any mention of converting some of the rules to the Greyhawk setting. I imagine alot of it can be used as is. But what does a Purple Dragon Knight become in Greyhawk?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
He becomes a Knight of Furry-Undies, lol :p

Picked this up yesterday, wow, they really packed alot of info into this book, and it even covers cursorily Zakhara and Kara-Tur. Im excited to start perusing, the production values are stunning, I only wish that a pull out map could have been included, but then again, Im sure that these maps will be sold cheap through digital, (if not already).

The gods section is pretty impressive, I had no idea they would include non-human deities, and there are some deities that I had not even heard of, (Jergal, Hoar).

Wizards really delivered me the FR book I needed for 5e. Hope we get to see more FR books, possibly one on Kara-Tur and Zhakara.

Last edited by a moderator:

Li Shenron

Legend
Good to hear that this book has good FR setting information that is usable beyond the Sword Coast itself.

Alas, I'm pretty sure I have enough 'fluff' from my 3e FR books already... The 3e FRCS was amazing, but I also loved Faiths & Pantheons, Magic of Faerun and Monsters of Faerun. Considering that I hated the spellplague rearrangements and the introduction of dragonborn, I had already decided that if I run a FR game again, I'd rather set it in the 3e era than in the 5e era anyway.

I've said already that I am disappointed by the low amount of 'crunch', although what I've heard about the subclasses sounds mostly quite good, I'm just sorry that it's not much.

Overall it makes the book worth a lot less than its tag price for me personally. Still, it's practically one supplement per year we are getting (as I am not buying the adventures), so I might still get it. Maybe I'll just wait until it's discounted somewhere...

beemoney19

First Post
Did anyone else notice the overland map, the Coast Way northbound ends at Baldur's Gate, instead of meeting up with the Trade Way south of Dragonspear, and The Trade Way itself just sort of stops before the Boareskyr Bridge? Is this a printing error?

Prism

Explorer
I haven't seen any mention of converting some of the rules to the Greyhawk setting. I imagine alot of it can be used as is. But what does a Purple Dragon Knight become in Greyhawk?

It recommends Knights of the Watch protecting against Baklunish incursions

Prism

Explorer
Did anyone else notice the overland map, the Coast Way northbound ends at Baldur's Gate, instead of meeting up with the Trade Way south of Dragonspear, and The Trade Way itself just sort of stops before the Boareskyr Bridge? Is this a printing error?

No its just old school.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120229031742/forgottenrealms/images/2/26/Faerun_1e.jpg

There are trails between but not used enough to be on the main map. A lot of goods between Balder's Gate and Waterdeep are moved by ship.

Queer Venger

Correct; shipping is the prefered and safest method of trade between the major ports of the Sword Coast, overland caravan travel is fruaght with peril, thus the raison d'être of most adventuring companies.

Queer Venger

Good to hear that this book has good FR setting information that is usable beyond the Sword Coast itself.

Alas, I'm pretty sure I have enough 'fluff' from my 3e FR books already... The 3e FRCS was amazing, but I also loved Faiths & Pantheons, Magic of Faerun and Monsters of Faerun. Considering that I hated the spellplague rearrangements and the introduction of dragonborn, I had already decided that if I run a FR game again, I'd rather set it in the 3e era than in the 5e era anyway.

I've said already that I am disappointed by the low amount of 'crunch', although what I've heard about the subclasses sounds mostly quite good, I'm just sorry that it's not much.

Overall it makes the book worth a lot less than its tag price for me personally. Still, it's practically one supplement per year we are getting (as I am not buying the adventures), so I might still get it. Maybe I'll just wait until it's discounted somewhere...

Agreed, the 3e FRCS still remains the best published resource out there, since I got back to D&D with 5e Ive been slowly collecting the series, Faiths & Pantheons is indispensable. Now with the SCAG I can reference the cleric domains.

Remove ads

Remove ads