• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

Bladesingers look like they can fill the gish role, but I am concerned about their survivability with Wizard HD. One good whack, and pretty boy elf gish is dead. It might be worth taking two levels of Rogue to get Cunning Action, so you can use your bonus actions to dodge.

Do you mean Disengage? Cunning Action is not usable for Dodging.

Bladesingers have a lot of pressure on their ASIs already, but you might be able to squeeze in a Mobile feat. Failing that, the Bladesinger can just rely on Expeditious Retreat to enable bonus action Disengages, although that does eat your concentration.

Prism

Explorer
Yes, I guess that it makes sense. He could be currently answering to prayers invoking both Lathander and Amaunator.

Its also worth saying that the religion section is about the worship of the gods, not the actual gods themselves. There is nothing I can see in the descriptions that isn't something a mortal would know. So if indeed Lathander and Amauntor are the same that's fine, but it wouldn't be written as fact in this book as nobody (on faerun) actually knows if that's the case. In the novels where this was alluded to that was only the opinions of the individuals claiming that they were one and the same. Many other priests of the two gods disagree. Only the DM can decide really what the truth is. I doubt there will ever be an official answer unless a DM only book of facts comes out, or one of the authors writes a novel about the gods themselves, both of which I sincerely doubt will happen.

The whole book is written as much for players as for DMs - possibly more for players considering the crunch in there. This is good for DMs in one way as it doesn't give a single truth that you feel obligated to follow, especially is the players have read the book, considering its for them. On the other hand you are not given much in the way of secret or background knowledge as a DM. This is why the workings behind the scenes of the Sundering are not given, nor the relationships between the gods, nor the secrets of hidden organizations.

ssvegeta555

Explorer
I was considering on canceling my pre-order to save some money, but I'm pleased to see what's being spoiled. I'm glad for threads like these. I like to know what I'm getting into, I don't like buying blind if I can help it. As someone who's buying this largely for the mechanics and considering it's a setting book, I'm not too surprised about the fluff vs crunch ratio. That's to be expected. I'm just glad to see some class options that aren't half-baked. I'm been so starved for mechanics. Now give me more WotC, nom nom nom! :D

Irennan

Explorer
Its also worth saying that the religion section is about the worship of the gods, not the actual gods themselves. There is nothing I can see in the descriptions that isn't something a mortal would know. So if indeed Lathander and Amauntor are the same that's fine, but it wouldn't be written as fact in this book as nobody (on faerun) actually knows if that's the case. In the novels where this was alluded to that was only the opinions of the individuals claiming that they were one and the same. Many other priests of the two gods disagree. Only the DM can decide really what the truth is. I doubt there will ever be an official answer unless a DM only book of facts comes out, or one of the authors writes a novel about the gods themselves, both of which I sincerely doubt will happen.

The whole book is written as much for players as for DMs - possibly more for players considering the crunch in there. This is good for DMs in one way as it doesn't give a single truth that you feel obligated to follow, especially is the players have read the book, considering its for them. On the other hand you are not given much in the way of secret or background knowledge as a DM. This is why the workings behind the scenes of the Sundering are not given, nor the relationships between the gods, nor the secrets of hidden organizations.

Yes, I see. But the book does give some description of the gods themselves and what they do, so it is seems to be about both. In fact there's a religion section, plus a god section

Last edited by a moderator:

Irennan

Explorer
I doubt there will ever be an official answer unless a DM only book of facts comes out, or one of the authors writes a novel about the gods themselves, both of which I sincerely doubt will happen.

Authors have been featuring gods in their novels quite often as of recent, though. You get little updates, like Ed Greenwood does, or even full blown scenes directly involving gods (I'm told that RAS did it in his latest book).

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I completely agree.

But imagine my dismay when I realize the PHB offers two (2) non-cantrip spells that you can use that advantage on. And both are bottom-rung level (levels one and two). Add ranged attack level 3, 4 and 5 spells ASAP!

Just getting advantage on defense is not nearly enough for me.

You can actually get advantage on anything you do, including skill use out of combat. Like, say, a persuasion check as you are likely the party face with your high charisma.

You just need to cast a 1st level or higher spell to recharge the ability. The ability itself can be applied to any roll you make. Heck, you can use it to gain advantage on Initiative checks too.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
I acknowledge that Maztica has always been controversial, and respect divergent opinions. However, I personally like its inclusion because: a) it gives more diversity to the Realms (the fact that I am Latin American helps); and b) it is a huge canvas that allows DM creation (the 3e FRCS says that much of Maztica is unknown). That is why I am glad that it seems that officially its return is hinted at.

mflayermonk

First Post
Authors have been featuring gods in their novels quite often as of recent, though. You get little updates, like Ed Greenwood does, or even full blown scenes directly involving gods (I'm told that RAS did it in his latest book).

I've always felt the large amount of gods/clerics and their cosmology were one of the main arguments against the "Tolkien inspired D&D argument".

Irennan

Explorer
I've always felt the large amount of gods/clerics and their cosmology were one of the main arguments against the "Tolkien inspired D&D argument".

D&D draws upon Tolkien, but it also draws upon mythology and fantasy in general. Tolkien's influence is definitely there, as it is for a lot of modern fantasy.

JohnLynch

Explorer
Another tidbit regarding the timeline discussion from earlier, when describing the Shieldmeet holiday the book says "The next Shieldmeet will be observed in 1492 DR". So we know for a fact the "official year" is somewhere between 1489 and 1492.
Thanks for taking the time to notice that and then post it. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I acknowledge that Maztica has always been controversial, and respect divergent opinions.
If they ever do revisit Maztica (big if here. We don't even know if the rest of Faerun outside of the Sword Coast will be revisited)I hope they use its time in Abeir as an excuse to help undo some of the more distasteful portions of Maztica and allow it to flourish as a unique place and lives up to its huge potential.

Remove ads

Remove ads