New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

the Jester

Legend
Would it make more sense (for comparative power) to replace the Chosen of the Gods / Bonus Proficiencies features of the FS so they just let them *choose* from that domain list rather then automatically have them known, and grant them the 1st level benefits from the domain?

That would be a significant improvement, in my book.

I had actually written up a sorcerer favored soul subclass after the PH came out and before the first 5e game I ran. One of my players is using it. Here's my version:

My Notes said:
ANGELIC RESISTANCE
Starting at 1st level, you gain resistance to radiant damage.

CELESTIAL SENSES
Starting at 1st level, you can spend a bonus action on your turn to concentrate on the presence of fiends or undead within 60' of you. You become aware of the presence and number of any such creatures, as well as gaining a sense of the power level of the mightiest such creature that you can sense (CR up to 1, weak; CR 2 to 5, moderate; CR 6 to 10, powerful; CR 11 to 18, extremely powerful; CR 19 or higher, overwhelmingly powerful). If you spend 1 sorcery point, you become aware of the exact location of each such creature in range, allowing you to ignore concealment, invisibility and stealth. In any case, your awareness lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

When you use this ability, you also become aware of the presence of creatures or objects in range that are consecrated to a deity, such as altars, holy ground, clerics and (often) paladins.

HEAVENLY POWER
Starting at 6th level, you can spend 2 or more sorcery points to cast cure wounds. The number of sorcery points you spend to cast the spell dictates what level it is cast at (for example, if you spend 6 spell points, you cast it as a 4th level spell), as if you were creating a spell slot.

ANGELIC AURA
Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to activate an aura of angelic power by spending 5 sorcery points and using a bonus action. While this aura is active, you shed bright light for 30' and dim light for an additional 30' beyond that. When you or an ally within the bright light hits with an attack, the attack deals an extra 1d6 points of radiant damage. The aura lasts for up to 1 minute or until you lose concentration on it.

Once you use this feature, you must complete a short or long rest before you can use it again.

ANGEL'S WINGS
At 18th level, you gain the ability to cause a pair of angelic wings to appear on your back. It takes a bonus action for you to summon or dismiss these wings, but you can leave them 'on' indefinitely if you wish. While the wings are present, you gain a fly speed of 40' and can hover. These wings appear outside of your armor or clothes and function without harming or being interfered with by your raiment.

While your wings are present, you gain the following options:
  • When you make a Dexterity saving throw for half damage against an effect, you can use your reaction to fold your wings around your body, adding 1d6 to the saving throw. You may use this ability after rolling your saving throw but before learning the result. If you use this option and still fail your saving throw, your wings are destroyed until you summon them again.
  • When an enemy hits you with a weapon attack, you can use your reaction to interpose your wings between you and the weapon. Roll 1d6 and add that to your AC against the triggering attack. If the attack still hits, your wings are destroyed until you summon them again.

The pc in question is currently a paladin 2/favored soul 4. She's not as effective at range or in melee as she would be if she'd stayed single classed, but she's fairly effective either way. She plans to stay sorcerer the rest of the way up so that she can get those wings. My version might be slightly underpowered, but I don't think it's too bad, and she really enjoys it. It also feels right to me, in terms of how much it feels like a divine champion.

Full disclosure: I hated the 3e favored soul in execution but liked the basic concept.

I think I know of an easier way of making the UA Favored Soul balanced against how Storm Sorcerer changed from UA to SCAG. This is in lieu of the bonus spells and the 18th level ability.

1. Have cantrips known come from either Sorcerer or Cleric lists. (Maintain base level blasting potential)
2. Spells known of 1st level and higher come only from Cleric list.
3. Use holy symbol instead of arcane focus.
4. Change 18th level ability to self-heal when casting non-cantrips on allies. (Reward support castings)

Everything else about the UA Favored Soul looks balanced enough, if they are intent on making it a Sorcerer subclass. Personally, I'd rather see it become its own class with three subclasses to specialize in martial prowess, magical blasting, and battlefield support. Attempting to graft a divine caster onto an arcane class just doesn't make sense.

gyor

Legend
The thing that was cool about the favoured soul and domains, is it was away to create diversity for sorcerors with a single subclass, so that should stay in part.

So instead of getting the spell lists they get a channel divinity power like a cleric, they get one use per short rest, but can spend sorcery points to use it more often.

They also gain access to a special favoured soul channel divinity called Chosen of the Gods instead of turn dead. Have it be a healing ability, they also get they're deities domain channel divinity. This fits the fluff better anyways,channel divinity is supposed to be the raw essence of a God, as opposed to divine spells which is basically a deity granting a spell caster access to divine spells.

Also maybe the Favour Soul's special channel divinity gets more powerful if you channel power points into it.

To help make up for the loss of the spells, martial weapon prof and holy symbol prof.

Get rid of extra attack, Greenfire Blade or Booming Sword will usual be the better choice anyway. Your choice of energy resistance and another use of Channel Divinity.

The wings can stay, they're iconic for the class.

Change the 18th to healing yourself when ever you use your channel divinity, but for more hps then the current verison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macca86

First Post
Apart from the benefits for being a battlerager, does anyone have the run down of the spiked armour?
Is there a good advantage for having it over other armour?

Li Shenron

Legend
Hidden in order not to derail the thread:

[sblock]
I think I know of an easier way of making the UA Favored Soul balanced against how Storm Sorcerer changed from UA to SCAG. This is in lieu of the bonus spells and the 18th level ability.

1. Have cantrips known come from either Sorcerer or Cleric lists. (Maintain base level blasting potential)
2. Spells known of 1st level and higher come only from Cleric list.
3. Use holy symbol instead of arcane focus.

I agree with you that the UA Favored Soul cannot keep the bonus known spells, if the Storm Sorcerer had them stripped away. The reason was even spelled out in the UA Favored Soul itself! "Any time we expand the known spells of the sorcerer, we run the risk of overshadowing the other sorcerous origins, since the limitation on the number of spells the sorcerer knows has a big impact on how the class plays."

I don't think cantrips make much difference, but OTOH I think that completely swapping the Sorcerer spell list with the Cleric spell list (if I understand your suggestion) is too much. The resulting character will be too similar to a Cleric IMHO.

Instead, I think a better solution would be to still let the Favored Soul choose a domain. But instead of adding those spells to the known spells, they would just be added to the sorcerer spells list. In other words, no more spells known than all other sorcerers subclasses, but a wider selection possible.

The thing that was cool about the favoured soul and domains, is it was away to create diversity for sorcerors with a single subclass, so that should stay in part.

So instead of getting the spell lists they get a channel divinity power like a cleric, they get one use per short rest, but can spend sorcery points to use it more often.

Yes, the domains idea was very nice. It immediately creates a 'multiple' subclass. I am not sure we need an additional mechanic (channel divinity), but as an alternative to my previous suggestion, domain spells could be still added to the known spells, but be castable only using spell points (i.e. slots created by spell points) but not using regular slots.

I am not a huge fan of the idea of Favored Souls having a martial bent, so I wouldn't mind if they removed Extra Attack and maybe even the extra proficiencies.
[/sblock]

Prism

Explorer
Apart from the benefits for being a battlerager, does anyone have the run down of the spiked armour?
Is there a good advantage for having it over other armour?

Its medium armour pretty much identical to scale mail. Only battleragers can use the spikes, although i'd probably allow it to be used as a normal melee weapon if someone wanted to. Only does 1d4 damage though

Macca86

First Post
Ahh, thanks for the info.
I'm starting up a DnD game with some mates soon and itll be interesting to see if anyone picks a battlerager.
Cheers

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Hidden in order not to derail the thread:

[sblock]

I agree with you that the UA Favored Soul cannot keep the bonus known spells, if the Storm Sorcerer had them stripped away. The reason was even spelled out in the UA Favored Soul itself! "Any time we expand the known spells of the sorcerer, we run the risk of overshadowing the other sorcerous origins, since the limitation on the number of spells the sorcerer knows has a big impact on how the class plays."

I don't think cantrips make much difference, but OTOH I think that completely swapping the Sorcerer spell list with the Cleric spell list (if I understand your suggestion) is too much. The resulting character will be too similar to a Cleric IMHO.

Instead, I think a better solution would be to still let the Favored Soul choose a domain. But instead of adding those spells to the known spells, they would just be added to the sorcerer spells list. In other words, no more spells known than all other sorcerers subclasses, but a wider selection possible.

Yes, the domains idea was very nice. It immediately creates a 'multiple' subclass. I am not sure we need an additional mechanic (channel divinity), but as an alternative to my previous suggestion, domain spells could be still added to the known spells, but be castable only using spell points (i.e. slots created by spell points) but not using regular slots.

I am not a huge fan of the idea of Favored Souls having a martial bent, so I wouldn't mind if they removed Extra Attack and maybe even the extra proficiencies.
[/sblock]
The thing is, the Storm Sorc's subclass features are awesome. The Favored Soul's, by and large, aren't. Apart from bonus spells, the only really good subclass feature comes in during the Paragon tier.

All the structure statement means is, "We already made sorcerers without bonus spells. We don't feel like adding them to PHB sorcerers this early, so we're taking away the bonus spells from the other sorcerers." I don't believe the feedback said sorcerers were fine without bonus spells. I think internally, regardless of feedback, they decided not to retrofit sorcerers with bonus spells. Not enough people play them or care what they have at the moment. Same reason we likely won't see a ranger change any time soon even with the talk of changing the class. They don't want to retrofit classes when the PHB hasn't been out for very long.

That could be right. They most definitely are not going to revise anything in the PHB. That is pretty much set in stone. Unless people start protesting outside of the WotC offices, it's never going to happen. (Which is probably a good call on their part.)

With the ranger (the least liked class), Mike has said that they are going to keep running variant options past people, and if they find one that people really, really like, eventually it will come out in some other book, and it might eventually be made AL legal--but the PHB version will never be replaced or changed.

The actual main geographical areas covered in the book are surprisingly detailed. The Island Kingdoms section especially stood out for me - given its length and various hints I suspected the Moonshaes might be covered, and indeed they are, quite fully, but I certainly wasn't expecting anything on Lantan or Nimbral! Granted, much of what is said for them (and for Evermeet as well) comes in the form of hearsay from the narrator of the section (a gnome sailor - all the geographic regions covered has their own specific narrator talking about the cities and regions), but even then just the half page or so on Lantan compares favorably to the entirity of the coverage we've had in all previous editions combined...

How useful is the setting information for playing FR in a prior time period? For instance, I set my FR in about 1370 DR, right before 3e, much less 4e. How useful is the setting info for me, and how much effort do I have to put into analyzing it to make it useful for me.

I'm planning to get the book anyway for some of the other material, but it would be great if I could actually make use of the setting material as a supplement to some of the 2e and 3e material I have.

Remove ads

Remove ads