D&D 5E New to d&d - need help.

Telep0rter

First Post
Hello there,
Yesterday I bought d&d. But I don't understand this: if you want to do something, what do you have to get on the die.
Edit:
When I mean something, I mean crossing a river, killing an enemy, climbing a wall, etc..

Last edited:

It depends on what the Dungeon Master says it is. Sometimes they'll say what the difficulty is aloud. Other times not.
Climbing a rough, old wall with lots of handholds might be a DC 5 (you need a 5 on the dice, or lower if you're strong) while a smooth wall might be a DC 15 or even 20.

vegaserik01

First Post
The DM makes the call. If it's a wall that's easier or harder then the target number goes up or down. You roll a d20 and add your skill modifier and want to roll higher than what the dm sets. It's all relevant to the target number the dm sets for each individual task. Attacking an enemy would go against the enemy's armor class, crossing a river would likely be athletics. A dm will likely give you bonuses for a good plan to cross the river but it all changes for each different task.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hello there,
Yesterday I bought d&d. But I don't understand this: if you want to do something, what do you have to get on the die.
Edit:
When I mean something, I mean crossing a river, killing an enemy, climbing a wall, etc..
For most things, you just tell the DM what you're trying to do, and he describes how it goes:

"I open the door."

"You see a dimly lit chamber beyond, about 20' x 40' there are a number of hobgoblins sitting around tables playing cards, they look up in surprise."

or

"I open the door"

"It must be locked or barred, it doesn't budge"

or

"I open the door"

"It seems to be stuck: make a STR check, DC 10"

That last one is the number you need to roll on the d20 after adding your STR mod. So if your STR is 14, you have a +2 mod, if you roll an 8 (8+2 =10) or better, you force the door open.

In combat, trying to hit an enemy is just about always rolled, you roll the d20, add your modifiers and tell the DM the result. He'll know the monsters AC which is the number you have to match to hit it.

The other major exception to the general rule above is spells. When you cast a spell, you just say you cast it, and the effects described happen.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Well, it depend on the difficulty of the task. If you're crossing a small, calm river, it would be an easy task with a dice check of, lets say 10 (if the task is so easy that there's no chance of failure, the Dm might just forgo to roll altogether). For a rushing river, it may need a dice check of 15 or more. There's a list on page 174 of the PHB telling you the required DC by difficulty.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
If you're climbing something simple, like a tree, a knotted rope, or a wall with good hand holds, Climbing doesn't require a roll, but each foot of movement costs double. So if you speed is 30 you can climb 15 feet as a move action.

If you are climbing a difficult surface; a brick wall without good hand holds, a wet and slick rock face, or if you are climbing while in combat or trying to do another thing at the same time, you would need to make an Athletics(Strength) check.

The difficulty (number your must roll) varies with the complexity of what you're doing.

So, a plain brick wall (slight but poor hand holds) might have a DC 10.
You roll your d20, add your strength bonus, and if you're trained in athletics add your proficiency bonus.
With a 10 str your bonus is 0.
At level 1 your proficiency bonus is 2.
So, if you try to climb this wall, and you are NOT trained in athletics, you must roll a 10.
If you ARE trained in athletics, you only have to roll an 8.

aco175

Legend
As a side note, everyone on this site wishes you years of enjoyment in playing D&D. You will find here many who have played for years and some not so much, but everyone enjoys the game and will help you.

You should look to buy the box set Lost Mine of Phandelver. It takes you through step by step on how to play. A lot of people find it to be a good starter adventure and it will help the DM go through the steps.

Also, do not be too worried if the other players make mistakes as long as everyone is having fun. Take time to enjoy and the rest will come along.

Remove ads