Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Melee clerics have been around since the beginning. And far more common than Paladins until recently.

In 5e without extra attacks melee clerics really suffer.
Eh I care more about the state of the current game, right now, than I’ll ever care about how it was back when.

The Cleric shouldn’t be as good in Melee as the Paladin, and should do Melee differently than the Paladin does.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Couple more videos from Crawford discussing the new options, he admits they haven't done multiclass adjustments yet (their standard for UA), but that these are designed so that two players at the table of the same Class might use these or the PHB options and be balance neutral:

I think its just an unfortunate over site, because wizards definitely need a boost.
No.

One boost we have given them is to allow them to concentrate on two spells with a feat.
No.

And while I'm at it, while I don't care much for Cunning Action: Aim on the Rogue, it does model perfectly exactly how spellcasting and ranged attacks need to be universally nerfed. You move, no spellcasting or ranged attack for you. You cast a spell or make a ranged attack, your speed is 0 the rest of your turn.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I just finished reading all 13 pages; here's my first impression.
  • Proficiency Versatility: I like it.
  • Barbarian: I like the extra skills that come with Survival Instincts, but I'm lukewarm on anything that doubles a proficiency bonus. Instinctive Pounce was fine until I got to the "doesn't provoke opportunity attacks" part; I'd prefer to leave that part out.
  • Bard: I like the expanded spell list and Spell Versatility. Magical Inspiration feels overpowered.
  • Cleric: I like all of these options except Blessed Strikes...too much paladin overlap, IMO.
  • Druid: I like all of these options also, especially Wild Companion. It always seemed silly that druids couldn't have familiars.
  • Fighter: a bit disappointing; The new Maneuvers look fine, just...meh.
  • Monk: Monk Weapons seems unnecessarily fiddly, but it will work I guess (I would have preferred something like "choose 5 weapons from the following list...") The Ki Features look fine, but I don't foresee my wife picking them for her monk.
  • Paladin: This all looks good to me.
  • Ranger: Ugh. I like Deft Explorer, but very little else. Favored Foe is unnecessarily clunky (why not just make it once per short rest?) and as for everything else: why not just play a druid?
  • Rogue: Eh, Cunning Action: Aim is fine I guess, not really my cuppa tea.
  • Sorcerer: I like the expanded spell list, but Spell Versatility feels out of place for a sorcerer (What do they do, replace their blood every long rest?) but it doesn't really break anything. Font of Magic options all look fine, nothing sticks out. The new Metamagic options are fine, but I'd probably drop Seeking Spell.
  • Warlock: This is my favorite part of the entire 13-page document. I love the expanded spell list, Pact of the Talisman feature, the new invocations, the whole thing.
  • Wizard: Not much to see here; a tiny expansion to the spell list and the ability to swap out cantrips. What's not to love?
  • Fighting Styles: Versatility is a good idea, and I like the new styles (but I predict a lot of pedantic arguments between my players about the differences between "being hidden" and "unable to be seen").

Remove ads

Remove ads