Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper, The Revived

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 21.14.02.png

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
28 new Subclasses, not including reprintings. All Subclasses went through SCAG or UA first, and they tested somewhere around 40 Subclasses, many of which did not make the cut.
Maybe we are still on the first round of subclasses to test and more are still coming. We will have to wait and see.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It would be easy to swallow as a Runescarred Berserker

Putting aside the debate about whether concept overlap subclasses are good or bad, what about the concept of this subclass actual says “barbarian”, though?

The embiggen effect could come from a rune tattoo, for sure, but it still isn’t a rage.

Mechanically, I prefer it this way, as well, since it doesn’t have to worry about being too strong when combined with Rage, it can just stand on its own.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
After some time to ponder, I really like all of these.

I still think there are much more straightforward concepts that could come before weird stuff, but otoh the weird stuff has definite appeal.

The rogue needs a different thing than a death beam, or the death beam needs to at least happen when you make an attack rather than when you use Cunning Action, or something. The playstyle of the subclass seems very weird as a result of how that feature works.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
After some time to ponder, I really like all of these.

I still think there are much more straightforward concepts that could come before weird stuff, but otoh the weird stuff has definite appeal.

The rogue needs a different thing than a death beam, or the death beam needs to at least happen when you make an attack rather than when you use Cunning Action, or something. The playstyle of the subclass seems very weird as a result of how that feature works.

My takeaway from this set of tests is that they both wanted to try and push the envelope in a number of extreme ways to see what direction the wind is blowing, and that they had some very, very specific story goals to meet that were off the beaten path. The story goals are the real mystery, here, though it'll be interesting to see what they find from people's reactions.

The story goals are the real mystery, here,
Well, we have plenty of data to narrow it down now. All we need is a story that combines the Old Norse language with Thugee cultists, beekeepers, Irish druids, Greek heroes, true name magic, psychic powers and Buddhism.

The Real World (TM) Campaign Setting confirmed for November 2020. You heard it here first folks!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, we have plenty of data to narrow it down now. All we need is a story that combines the Old Norse language with Thugee cultists, beekeepers, Irish druids, Greek heroes, true name magic, psychic powers and Buddhism.

Yes, if only there was some Magic-al setting with literally all of those eleme...

opca-71-skybreen.jpg

Image (5).jpeg

Image (6).jpeg

118605_200w.jpg

fabledhero.jpg
Image (7).png

Image (8).jpeg

Image (9).png

Remove ads

Remove ads