• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

So, your evidence that Dinosaurs are connected to Primordials is that most of the Forgotten Realms' Dinosaurs are in Chult and Ubtao (a Primordial-turned-God) is the god of Chult.

I don't find that particularly persuasive. It's just one setting's lore for only a single god tangentially connected with Dinosaurs. Not some smoking gun that the Druid subclass is actually connected to Giants somehow.
Ubtao wasn't "tangentially" connected with dinosaurs, he was the god of dinosaurs. In 2e, his avatar was actually a giant T-rex!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You guys need to take your cultural blinders off.
Oh dear. Our cultural blinders…from the person who insists that a very international venue type is Eurocentric. Sure.
You are historically accurate, but the first exposure I had to the word cafe was referencing French and Italian cafes.
Sure, but ever since about the 13th century, every region of the world with a lot of coffee drinking has had cafes, to some degree.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In fact, I’m fairly certain that in Medieval and early Renaissance Europe, most people who knew what a café was thought of it as a distinctly foreign idea that had come to Europe via her great port cities and trade routes.

And my first exposure was Starbucks when I was a kid. Doesn't mean cafés are American.

Though now that I say that, I wonder if there is a generational difference? As a Milleniel, I don't think Europe when I hear café, because it is just a normal part of everyday life.
Growing up in England in the 1970s, I think of a café as somewhere you go for a cup of tea and a cheep meal. Similar to American "diner" I think. It had lost it's association with coffee, I guess due to WW2 shortages and foul-tasting substitutes making coffee drinking fall out of fashion. Coffee was basically repopularised around the 1980s by Starbucks and it's imitators, but I still tend not to think of "a Starbucks" as a café.

glass

(he, him)
Growing up in England in the 1970s, I think of a café as somewhere you go for a cup of tea and a cheep meal. Similar to American "diner" I think. It had lost it's association with coffee, I guess due to WW2 shortages and foul-tasting substitutes making coffee drinking fall out of fashion. Coffee was basically repopularised around the 1980s by Starbucks and it's imitators, but I still tend not to think of "a Starbucks" as a café.
More eighties than seventies for me, but otherwise I am much the same. Like I would expect a cafe to serve coffee, but probably only two types (black and white). The more modern* establishments with twenty-seven different coffees I do not understand and (usually) terrible tea are "coffee houses" to me, not "cafés".

_
glass.

* At least they feel that way to me, even though they may be closer to traditional historical cafes.

Remove ads

Remove ads