D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I certainly don't dispute that coffee and cofee-houses came to Europe from Africa via the middle east, but the word "café" still evokes a distinctly European venue for enjoying this fine beverage as well as appropriate side dishes.
No, it doesn't, because all of those elements came out of Asia first. The beverage, the dishes, the venue style.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yup, amd it comes from. Arabic before Turkish, named after the Kaffa region of Ethiopia where it was cultivated. Very non-European, all around.

I certainly don't dispute that coffee and cofee-houses came to Europe from Africa via the middle east, but the word "café" still evokes a distinctly European venue for enjoying this fine beverage as well as appropriate side dishes.
Not to most people outside Europe, it doesn’t.

In the West we think first of Paris, but not only did they not start there, they are still very much not Eurocentric.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I tend to think of Italy, even though Italy doesn't have much of a cafe culture that I'm aware of. I believe they're more of a "shot of coffee in the morning" kind of culture, but that's where my mind goes when thinking of Europe and cafes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I tend to think of Italy, even though Italy doesn't have much of a cafe culture that I'm aware of. I believe they're more of a "shot of coffee in the morning" kind of culture, but that's where my mind goes when thinking of Europe and cafes.
Italy has a really strong culture of the techniques of coffee making. Their cafes are, indeed, cafes.

Faolyn

(she/her)
But is American cheese "American"... or even actually "cheese"?
According to Wikipedia, American cheese was first invented by British colonists to pre-Revolutionary America.

I think it's legally cheese. I try to stay far away from it, myself.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
So, yeah, I thought so, but I have verified that dinosaurs are already linked to Giants in D&D lore via the Primordials (very...Primeval), at least in the Forgotten Realms, in Lore written by James Wyatt .

"During the Shadow Epoch of the Blue Age, when Toril was still a new world, the gods and the primordials fought for dominance. This Age came to a sudden stop when the primordial known as the Dendar the Night Serpent took the sun out of the sky. Eventually, the Elder Gods won the fight when the primordials were betrayed by one of their own: Ubtao the Deceiver."

So, your evidence that Dinosaurs are connected to Primordials is that most of the Forgotten Realms' Dinosaurs are in Chult and Ubtao (a Primordial-turned-God) is the god of Chult.

I don't find that particularly persuasive. It's just one setting's lore for only a single god tangentially connected with Dinosaurs. Not some smoking gun that the Druid subclass is actually connected to Giants somehow.

Remove ads

Remove ads