D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana Today: Giant Themed Class Options and Feats

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons &...

A new Unearthed Arcana dropped today, focusing on giant-themed player options. "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options related to the magic and majesty of giants. This playtest document presents the Path of the Giant barbarian subclass, the Circle of the Primeval druid subclass, the Runecrafter wizard subclass, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons."

New Class options:
  • Barbarian: Path of the Giant
  • Druid: Circle of the Primeval
  • Wizard: Runecrafter Tradition
New Feats:
  • Elemental Touched
  • Ember of the Fire Giant
  • Fury of the Frost Giant
  • Guile of the Cloud Giant
  • Keeness of the Stone Giant
  • Outsized Might
  • Rune Carver Apprentice
  • Rune Carvwr Adept
  • Soul of the Storm Giant
  • Vigor of the Hill Giant
WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks Barbarian Path of the Giant here:

briggart

Adventurer
Not originally. Imported from Africa via West Asia. It's not European. That's why they have a Semetic name.
I think the point they are making is that several different cultures have public places where people would gather to purchase and consume coffee. "Café" is the specific European version of this concept, regardless of where the drink originally came from.

And the same goes for "taverns". Places where people would could buy and drink alcoholic beverages have existed long before more structured civilizations arose in Europe (IIRC the Hammurabi Code already had provisions regulating the selling of beer in public houses), but most fantasy depictions tend to focus on how these places were organized in Middle Age Europe.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the point they are making is that several different cultures have public places where people would gather to purchase and consume coffee. "Café" is the specific European version of this concept, regardless of where the drink originally came from.

And the same goes for "taverns". Places where people would could buy and drink alcoholic beverages have existed long before more structured civilizations arose in Europe (IIRC the Hammurabi Code already had provisions regulating the selling of beer in public houses), but most fantasy depictions tend to focus on how these places were organized in Middle Age Europe.
No, I understood what was meant, and that is incorrect. "Café" is specifically not European, literally every part from the name to the techniques are an import from outside of Europe.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, yeah, I thought so, but I have verified that dinosaurs are already linked to Giants in D&D lore via the Primordials (very...Primeval), at least in the Forgotten Realms, in Lore written by James Wyatt .

"During the Shadow Epoch of the Blue Age, when Toril was still a new world, the gods and the primordials fought for dominance. This Age came to a sudden stop when the primordial known as the Dendar the Night Serpent took the sun out of the sky. Eventually, the Elder Gods won the fight when the primordials were betrayed by one of their own: Ubtao the Deceiver."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope. The café is only European in the same sense that beer is American. It’s the French derivative of the Turkish word for coffee, and the practice comes from Africa and the Levant, spreading into Europe via merchants who’d travelled to Turkey, mostly.
Yup, and it comes from Arabic before Turkish, named after the Kaffa region of Ethiopia where it was cultivated. Very non-European, all around.

Last edited:

Yup, amd it comes from. Arabic before Turkish, named after the Kaffa region of Ethiopia where it was cultivated. Very non-European, all around.
I certainly don't dispute that coffee and cofee-houses came to Europe from Africa via the middle east, but the word "café" still evokes a distinctly European venue for enjoying this fine beverage as well as appropriate side dishes.

Remove ads

Remove ads