D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Weiley31

Legend
Also, am I the only one who would like a rune carver to be able to just... put runes on his friends? You know, as a sort of support thing? All the rune magic we got so far is just personal stuff. It would be cool to be able to carve a protection rune on my buddy's armor too.
No that would actually be cool and would have been a great idea for the Rune Knight as well, where it could share its class rune features with a person.

Didn't the previous version of the Rune Carver UA feat allow you to do that though?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No that would actually be cool and would have been a great idea for the Rune Knight as well, where it could share its class rune features with a person.

Didn't the previous version of the Rune Carver UA feat allow you to do that though?
On the other hand, artificers can use their abilities to enhance their allies. And one of the complaints about them is that allows them to be too much of a force multiplier. Besides, the current focus on self-expression and individual achievement leads away from being focused on a team player philosophy. WotC is moving with the wind here.

Cruentus

Adventurer
On the other hand, artificers can use their abilities to enhance their allies. And one of the complaints about them is that allows them to be too much of a force multiplier. Besides, the current focus on self-expression and individual achievement leads away from being focused on a team player philosophy. WotC is moving with the wind here.
In my game, I refluffed the Artificier to be a Runecaster. Changed the names, removes potions and other such that didn't fit, reworked spells to fit theme, and there you go. Full on Runecaster as support character. Worked a treat for me.

I've been carefully following Runes in DnD from Dragon Mag, through splat books, through 3PP, and no one has ever been able to pin them down. The mechanics of the Artificier have been the closest I've found that actually work.

Thommy H-H

Adventurer
In my game, I refluffed the Artificier to be a Runecaster. Changed the names, removes potions and other such that didn't fit, reworked spells to fit theme, and there you go. Full on Runecaster as support character. Worked a treat for me.

I've been carefully following Runes in DnD from Dragon Mag, through splat books, through 3PP, and no one has ever been able to pin them down. The mechanics of the Artificier have been the closest I've found that actually work.
Do you even need to refluff it? The artificer is basically flavour-agnostic: it can use any kind of artisans' tools as a focus and you describe spells how you like. I don't think infusions-as-runes (inrunesions?) contradicts anything in the class's description. Of course, you're free to tweak it as you wish anyway!

Remove ads

Remove ads