New Warhammer Old World TTRPG Announced

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG.

420534260_773711628132288_1517455038539161216_n.jpg

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG--this one based on Warhammer: The Old World. Press release below, more news as/when we hear it!

Celebrated game publisher Cubicle 7 Entertainment has announced development of a new roleplaying game based on Games Workshop’s recently launched Warhammer: The Old World.

Speaking in the UK at Warhammer World’s launch event for Warhammer: The Old World, Cubicle 7’s Dominic McDowall said, “Exploring a new era with Warhammer: The Old World is an honour and a privilege. As huge fans of the classic Warhammer setting we’re thrilled to be working with Games Workshop on the new chapter of such a beloved setting.”

Cubicle 7 has an impressive roster of licensed Games Workshop Roleplaying Games, including the award-winning Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, set in the later era of Karl Franz. Fans of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay can rest assured it will continue as its own game line, with many, many releases already scheduled for the coming years.

Warhammer: The Old World is a miniatures battle game set in the past of the Known World.

The announced rpg is based on the remake of Warhammer Fantasy Battles called Warhammer The Old World. WFB was the game/setting WFRP 1E was based on.
Actually, this isn’t quite correct. The original 1983 Warhammer 1st edition box set has a couple of notable things:

Firstly, it was billed as a mass combat miniatures game but was also a roleplaying game. It came with three booklets, the third of which is literally a rulebook for how to roleplay and advance characters and includes an introductory scenario. Contrary to what many remember, the original Warhammer game was built with roleplaying in mind for campaign development.

Secondly, it barely had any developed setting. This came later, thought the release of Warhammer 2nd edition (1984) but primarily through the 1986 release of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game (which we all now know as WFRP 1st edition) which established most of the lore. It was only with really the advent of Warhammer Fantasy Battles 3rd edition (1987) that the two things went their own ways directly.

As such, WFRP 1e wasn’t based on the WFB setting but actually the other way round.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
It interests me somewhat, but more because I want to see WotC and Gameswork Shop merge, but increasingly without the parasitic Hasbro attached, so it makes sense to do future Warhammer RPG products as 5e.
Despite the name, Games Workshop isn't really interested in producing games. Especially role playing games. They're more interested in producing models and letting other companies produce RPGs under their license. As much as I like 5th edition, it's easily my most favorite edition of D&D, it's not a good fit for Warhammer. I'm a fan of Warhammer, I have tons of miniatures to prove it, but I can't help but think James Workshop has been far more absuive towards their customers than Hasbro has. I don't know why anyone would want WotC and GW to merge. It'd just be bad for everyone.

Really If you want you can reuse the lore of Warhammer in your 5e game. This can be read in the fandom wiki, and then you haven't to pay.

But the system of magic and spellcasting is radically different. Of course Hasbro dreams with a WotC version of fantasy wargame, but with the d20 system the power balance may be broken easily, and it would need a lot of playtesting, even with computer simulations.

If Hasbro wanted a fantasy wargame, this shouldn't be D&D yet, but starting from zero as a Hero Quest spin-off. And it would be a miniature tabletop wargame, but a strategy videogame, something style Warcraft III. Maybe we would see a playtesting, with the solo-mode option, in the VTT of D&DBeyond.

And sometimes I am afraid some buble in the market of miniature wargames, and more now with the arrival of the 3D-printers.

GW wants to recover the "Old World" not to sell more miniatures for the nostalgic players, but to use the IP as a multmedia franchise and cash-cow.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
From what little I have heard it will be more heroic than 4e where you are usually just a normal person, an apothecary, guard, rat catcher. Instead this will be closer to AoS where you are playing a character type from the war game like White Lion but not as over powered as AoS where you kill monsters by the hand fill with each attack.

From what little I have heard it will be more heroic than 4e where you are usually just a normal person, an apothecary, guard, rat catcher. Instead this will be closer to AoS where you are playing a character type from the war game like White Lion but not as over powered as AoS where you kill monsters by the hand fill with each attack.
That's unfortunate. I feel a big part of appeal of Warhammer Roleplay is the grittiness and low power level. I want to play a ratcatcher, not a swordmaster of Hoeth.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There's an American phrase, "You can't go home again." The idea is that you can't really go back to something that was once familiar because it's change and so have you. I think a lot of gamers frustrate themselves by trying to recapture the feeling they had from the games they played in their younger days.
True. Over Christmas break my friend's son ran a one-shot WFRP 1e game using old books my friend still had from high school in the 80s. It was a lot of fun, but I much prefer WFRP 4e, which is what I'm using for current campaign.

Despite the name, Games Workshop isn't really interested in producing games. Especially role playing games. They're more interested in producing models and letting other companies produce RPGs under their license. As much as I like 5th edition, it's easily my most favorite edition of D&D, it's not a good fit for Warhammer. I'm a fan of Warhammer, I have tons of miniatures to prove it, but I can't help but think James Workshop has been far more absuive towards their customers than Hasbro has. I don't know why anyone would want WotC and GW to merge. It'd just be bad for everyone.

They also produce a ton of novels in their Black Libarary. WotC and Games Workshop synergize because they each do things in a related spaces the other really doesn't anymore.

TheSword

Legend
It interests me somewhat, but more because I want to see WotC and Gameswork Shop merge, but increasingly without the parasitic Hasbro attached, so it makes sense to do future Warhammer RPG products as 5e.
It really doesn’t make sense. WFRP is a fundamentally different system. The things that make it unique, careers, critical hits, dangerous magic, randomness, aren’t really compatible with 5e.

You can run WFRP adventures in 5e and you can run D&D adventures in WFRP but they need tinkering and there are pitfalls to watch out for.

Lastly the large and dedicated fanbase of WFRP would throw a fit if they tried it. I just can’t see it ever happening. Neither can I see GW collaborating with another giant - they’re even more protective of their IP than WotC/Hasbro.

Remove ads

Remove ads