New Warhammer Old World TTRPG Announced

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG.

420534260_773711628132288_1517455038539161216_n.jpg

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG--this one based on Warhammer: The Old World. Press release below, more news as/when we hear it!

Celebrated game publisher Cubicle 7 Entertainment has announced development of a new roleplaying game based on Games Workshop’s recently launched Warhammer: The Old World.

Speaking in the UK at Warhammer World’s launch event for Warhammer: The Old World, Cubicle 7’s Dominic McDowall said, “Exploring a new era with Warhammer: The Old World is an honour and a privilege. As huge fans of the classic Warhammer setting we’re thrilled to be working with Games Workshop on the new chapter of such a beloved setting.”

Cubicle 7 has an impressive roster of licensed Games Workshop Roleplaying Games, including the award-winning Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, set in the later era of Karl Franz. Fans of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay can rest assured it will continue as its own game line, with many, many releases already scheduled for the coming years.

Warhammer: The Old World is a miniatures battle game set in the past of the Known World.

aramis erak

Legend
Games Workshop don’t make RPGs and are even more corporate than WotC.
Which only started when Ian Livingston and Steve Jackson (UK) got bought out. It then went full profit maximization.
A friend of mine went for a job for them in Nottingham in project management and they weren’t even asked if they played the games. He does, but that didn’t seem to be important. It’s not the culture I want in charge of DND. I want people obsessed with the game in charge of it.
Not going to happen as long as D&D is big business. The obsessed with it guys are supervised by guys whose sole care is getting the maximum money out of the minimum effort and lowest cost.
And it's been that way since Lorraine Williams bought in. And she's a nasty piece of work...
It's gotten slightly better, but Adkinson got bought out, and WotC went full money grab. Again. And then HasBro realized it needed to let the geeks run things a bit, but again, went full money grab, and we now get the DDB moneygrab...
That's normal corporate life.

TheSword

Legend
Which only started when Ian Livingston and Steve Jackson (UK) got bought out. It then went full profit maximization.
What 33 years ago? They might as well be different companies.
Not going to happen as long as D&D is big business. The obsessed with it guys are supervised by guys whose sole care is getting the maximum money out of the minimum effort and lowest cost.
And it's been that way since Lorraine Williams bought in. And she's a nasty piece of work...
It's gotten slightly better, but Adkinson got bought out, and WotC went full money grab. Again. And then HasBro realized it needed to let the geeks run things a bit, but again, went full money grab, and we now get the DDB moneygrab...
That's normal corporate life.
I think you can be a good manager and still love your product and believe in it. I believe that many many people at WotC including senior managers love DND and play it regularly. I’ll believe otherwise when someone who is in the know demonstrates different.

I don’t share your cynicism. I’ve also never met Lorraine so aren’t going to speak to her character.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
What 33 years ago? They might as well be different companies.

I think you can be a good manager and still love your product and believe in it. I believe that many many people at WotC including senior managers love DND and play it regularly. I’ll believe otherwise when someone who is in the know demonstrates different.

I don’t share your cynicism. I’ve also never met Lorraine so aren’t going to speak to her character.
I've not met her either, but her legal woes put the Gygax boys into small potatoes...

Because (at time of this writing) 40K is pretty much the last IP I enjoy, and I don't trust Wizards at all.
Funny how perspectives differ. I've lost a lot of my love for the setting over the past few years, with the whole primaris thing and the return of the loyalist Primarchs. Dreadful lore written for nakedly venal commercial purposes. 40k is so big and sprawling that there's still stuff I enjoy there, but Astartes are central to the setting and the last decade has absolutely destroyed them thematically - I've really fallen out of love.

Scribe

Legend
Funny how perspectives differ. I've lost a lot of my love for the setting over the past few years, with the whole primaris thing and the return of the loyalist Primarchs. Dreadful lore written for nakedly venal commercial purposes. 40k is so big and sprawling that there's still stuff I enjoy there, but Astartes are central to the setting and the last decade has absolutely destroyed them thematically - I've really fallen out of love.

You arent wrong. Its gotten to the point where its a few changes away from me just walking away, but thats kind of my point. 40K is at the edge of the cliff already, and GW is preparing imo, to kick it over into something it never was.

I unironically believe 40K is (again, at time of writing) a fantastic IP that deserves way more exposure, but that same exposure then gets people thinking 'it should change' at which point, its ruined, as its no longer 40K.

I've never been a fan of the False Emperor, so the Primaris stuff while a betrayal of some of the central themes of the setting, just gave me 'well kill them harder!' excuses. ;)

You arent wrong. Its gotten to the point where its a few changes away from me just walking away, but thats kind of my point. 40K is at the edge of the cliff already, and GW is preparing imo, to kick it over into something it never was.

I unironically believe 40K is (again, at time of writing) a fantastic IP that deserves way more exposure, but that same exposure then gets people thinking 'it should change' at which point, its ruined, as its no longer 40K.

I've never been a fan of the False Emperor, so the Primaris stuff while a betrayal of some of the central themes of the setting, just gave me 'well kill them harder!' excuses. ;)
Pfft, the only TRUE Emperor has four arms...

Yeah, it's mostly been the Horus Heresy stuff that's kept me interested in the setting in recent years. I don't play the miniatures game but i read the novels, but I've been leaving a lot of the 'current day' stuff unread - and that's quite aside from GWs habit of hiding important lore in small doses in expensive game supplements with limited print runs.

Bringing metaplot into 40k, after decades of being wise enough to avoid doing so, is one of the dumbest decisions that GW has made in their existence. I can already see the setting starting to go the way of Old World of Darkness or even 2e-era FR where the whole thing boringly revolves around the doings of a few NPCs with plot armour. Guilliman fights Mortarion, Abaddon fights Calgar, the Lion fights Angron, and because GW isn't going to kill any of these characters off, either nothing is decided or else the daemon primarchs 'lose' and get banished to the warp and then come back later as if nothing had happened except for being made to look like perpetual loser jokes. They've written themselves into a corner of increasing silliness.

I cannot imagine that happening either.

Lets just say this. Let other IPs, other companies, be. Let them be different. Let them cater to different demographics, with a different approach.

The...I dont even know what we want to call it, homogenization of RPGs, of games, of IPs, is about the worst future I can imagine for gaming and entertainment.

I'm not talking about merging the settings, I'm talking about expertise and infastructure sharing, look at how many novels and anthologies get released for the Black Library every year, even Blood Bowl has some novels at one point. Also Warhammer has its own factories and us building another one, value expertize. WotC has video game, TTRPG, TCG, etc..., expertize to offer.

Remove ads

Remove ads