New Warhammer Old World TTRPG Announced

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG.

420534260_773711628132288_1517455038539161216_n.jpg

Cubicle 7 has announced another Warhammer tabletop RPG--this one based on Warhammer: The Old World. Press release below, more news as/when we hear it!

Celebrated game publisher Cubicle 7 Entertainment has announced development of a new roleplaying game based on Games Workshop’s recently launched Warhammer: The Old World.

Speaking in the UK at Warhammer World’s launch event for Warhammer: The Old World, Cubicle 7’s Dominic McDowall said, “Exploring a new era with Warhammer: The Old World is an honour and a privilege. As huge fans of the classic Warhammer setting we’re thrilled to be working with Games Workshop on the new chapter of such a beloved setting.”

Cubicle 7 has an impressive roster of licensed Games Workshop Roleplaying Games, including the award-winning Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, set in the later era of Karl Franz. Fans of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay can rest assured it will continue as its own game line, with many, many releases already scheduled for the coming years.

Warhammer: The Old World is a miniatures battle game set in the past of the Known World.

It really doesn’t make sense. WFRP is a fundamentally different system. The things that make it unique, careers, critical hits, dangerous magic, randomness, aren’t really compatible with 5e.

You can run WFRP adventures in 5e and you can run D&D adventures in WFRP but they need tinkering and there are pitfalls to watch out for.

Lastly the large and dedicated fanbase of WFRP would throw a fit if they tried it. I just can’t see it ever happening. Neither can I see GW collaborating with another giant - they’re even more protective of their IP than WotC/Hasbro.

They already collabrated with WotC on the 40k Commander Decks.

TheSword

Legend
Games Workshop don’t make RPGs and are even more corporate than WotC.

A friend of mine went for a job for them in Nottingham in project management and they weren’t even asked if they played the games. He does, but that didn’t seem to be important. It’s not the culture I want in charge of DND. I want people obsessed with the game in charge of it.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
On a side note about conversions, for anyone considering trying the system, I find I can take a DND/Pathfinder published adventure. Remove about half the combats (the general filler combats that seem to there to pad out XP targets) and add some of the WFRP mechanics to the roleplaying (status, bribery, etiquette and lore etc). It then feels about right.

The gritty nature of the system means that ironically campaigns that were quite mediocre in 5e - Rime of the Frostmaiden for instance - could work brilliantly. As the system brings out the more survival/exploration elements. Descent into Avernus and Curse of Strahd would also be amazing I think.

Skull and Shackles is a pleasure to run. Combat feels meaningful, influencing the pirates Is interesting and engaging and equipment and skills matter far more. The party are about to be shipwrecked on a mysterious island and even though I’ve ran it before even I’m still getting excited by the unknown of it all.

Scribe

Legend
I'm thinking more of Games Workshop being in charge instead of WotC.

I cannot imagine that happening either.

Lets just say this. Let other IPs, other companies, be. Let them be different. Let them cater to different demographics, with a different approach.

The...I dont even know what we want to call it, homogenization of RPGs, of games, of IPs, is about the worst future I can imagine for gaming and entertainment.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads