• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

Zardnaar

Legend
I prefer distance builds in video games but that's primarily because I find melee never really works that well for me in a FPS setup. Games like Jedi: Fallen Order / Survivor are an exception, because they are built to make it a little easier to hit things with a lightsaber, but in other games, I just find it so much easier to point and shoot than try to aim a melee weapon.

That being said, I am quickly learning that you can't just point and shoot and always expect to hit something in Fallout 4. Those dastardly deathclaws and their zig-zagging, for instance! But also, range and accuracy are a real thing. I'll have my mouse hovering over an enemy's head but my shot will go wide. And then sometimes a stupid wall or railing gets in the way.

I have not been that impressed with the VATS system so far. I tend to miss with it more often than when I just shoot normally. That might be because of how I've built my character with low Luck and such, I don't know.

You're better off manually shooting. Vs things like charging deathclaws use jet variants.

VATs is very good with high perception and perks. Headshots.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm pretty good at getting headshots without VATS.

One of the perks buffs damage for each vats headshot iirc.

VATS in addition to slowing tine reduces damage.

You can go rifleman sniper manual or vats or add stealth.

Stealth needs VATs less. On survival jet etc causes addiction.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I'm pretty good at getting headshots without VATS.
As to VATS or not: I'm old, my arcade reflexes - not good to begin with - disappeared decades ago. That's why VATS, in 3, NV and 4, is such a godsend. It allows me and other old farts that usually play turn based stuff to play a first person combat focused game and have fun.

Now, I actually played "old" Cyberpunk 2077 and really enjoyed it. But with the changes of the game toward the DLC it has become to twitchy for me.

So for me VATS is not a choice, it's a question of having fun or getting badly destroyed by mole rats on Easy ;-)

Zardnaar

Legend
As to VATS or not: I'm old, my arcade reflexes - not good to begin with - disappeared decades ago. That's why VATS, in 3, NV and 4, is such a godsend. It allows me and other old farts that usually play turn based stuff to play a first person combat focused game and have fun.

Now, I actually played "old" Cyberpunk 2077 and really enjoyed it. But with the changes of the game toward the DLC it has become to twitchy for me.

So for me VATS is not a choice, it's a question of having fun or getting badly destroyed by mole rats on Easy ;-)

Lots and lots of drugs eg jet.

MarkB

Legend
I fast traveled between the two settlements, but the settlers have just vanished. I had tried sending some settlers from Starlight to the nursery. While I was at Starlight, the nursery’s population went up to 5 on my pip-boy map, but after I fast traveled there, it was back at 2, but the missing settlers hadn’t been added back to Starlight’s numbers.
Sometimes it just takes time for them to arrive. If they haven't turned up after 24 hours, then it's time to worry.

pukunui

Legend
Sometimes it just takes time for them to arrive. If they haven't turned up after 24 hours, then it's time to worry.
Yeah, it's been at least 24 hours in game. They've just vanished. There was a deathclaw near the settlement. Maybe it got them before I got it. (It was in the ruins near Greentop Nursery. I saw it harassing my provisioner, but the provisioner survived, so ...)

pukunui

Legend
Is that beautiful Milky Way sky from a mod too?

I wish you could build bunk beds in this game. I keep finding them in the ruins, but it doesn't look like you can make new ones.

Is there a good tutorial on lighting? I've discovered that if I put power pylons around a building, they will automatically power nearby lights within the building without me having to connect the pylon to the building (unlike with the TVs, which apparently need to have electricity connected to the outside wall of the building via a switch). However, I can't figure out how to power all the lights in a building with just one pylon. I'd rather not surround a building with power pylons. Is that what those various conduit bits are for? If yes, how do I use them? It doesn't look like they can be attached to the walls.

And what are all the different switches and logic gates and stuff for?

Is that beautiful Milky Way sky from a mod too?

I wish you could build bunk beds in this game. I keep finding them in the ruins, but it doesn't look like you can make new ones.

Is there a good tutorial on lighting? I've discovered that if I put power pylons around a building, they will automatically power nearby lights within the building without me having to connect the pylon to the building (unlike with the TVs, which apparently need to have electricity connected to the outside wall of the building via a switch). However, I can't figure out how to power all the lights in a building with just one pylon. I'd rather not surround a building with power pylons. Is that what those various conduit bits are for? If yes, how do I use them? It doesn't look like they can be attached to the walls.

And what are all the different switches and logic gates and stuff for?
Visible Galaxy 4k and Framework and Visible Galaxy 4K - Flickering Fix the issue with in game bunkbeds that you can build is that they only count as 1 bed but with the snap beds mod SnapBeds - Usable Bunk Beds - Mix and Match Beds

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads