• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No 4th Edition

mmadsen

First Post
rgard said:
How are you defining 'reasonable' level with respect to profit expectations?
The financial market has an answer to that, although the exact number depends on the perceived level of risk involved. One might expect a project to return 10% of the money invested each year. For a high-risk project, like a niche RPG supplement, one might need to expect 20% returns to justify it.

Anyway, for financial data on Hasbro as a whole, you can go to Yahoo (HAS) or any number of other sites.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cadfan said:
Ranger REG: If you've noticed, WOTC is an evil empire, the depths of its wickedness bounded only by the imagination of internet fanboys. Its employees step on kittens just for fun, and the only evidence necessary to convict them of wrongdoing is to simply show that the act is evil- if the crime is heinous enough, then by definition they must be doing it. So, in other words, yes, you have to provide your own suit and crowbar.
If I wanted to join an evil empire, I'd hook up with Steve Jackson. :]

I'll see if I can get a suit. ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
But the sad truth is, a lot of gamers are anti-corporate and anti-business and expect game companies to run at "break even plus $1". Which works fine until something goes wrong. That's why you see so many great game companies who make great, profitable games go out of business.

And again, it isn't just GURPs that does this. Every major game company does it. Heck, Green Ronin did with M&M and RPGObjects is on a second edition of a couple of popular lines.

It's actually something approaching a real business model.
I don't mind MnM going from 1e to 2e in so short a time, even though I have not made any purchase to upgrade. I do mind that we're going from 3.0e in 2000 to 3.5e in 2003 and possibly 4.0e in 2008. And fans are eating up like a fashion accessory they must have because <teen girl voice>, "3.5e is soo last year, 4e is the new black! Heeheeheeehee!"

It's one thing the Player's Handbook looks like a girl's diary, it's another when gamers are acting like girls looking for the latest designer game.

Humaniti is so disappointing! Can't wait for Armageddon.

Cadfan

First Post
I don't mind MnM going from 1e to 2e in so short a time, even though I have not made any purchase to upgrade. I do mind that we're going from 3.0e in 2000 to 3.5e in 2003 and possibly 4.0e in 2008. And fans are eating up like a fashion accessory they must have because <teen girl voice>, "3.5e is soo last year, 4e is the new black! Heeheeheeehee!"

I'm impressed at your ability to backlash in real life against imaginary people who are fans of an imaginary product.

Cadfan

First Post
Which... was started in reaction to this thread, and several others exactly like it, ironically. Nice work, everyone in this thread! You preemptively backlashed against something that had not yet happened! If only your time traveling powers could be harnessed for good instead of evil, what great things we could do!

Harmon

First Post
Wait if we are all imaginatary then who imagined us if not me then, cause I know I am real, but I don’t know if you are?

In the words of one of my characters- “oh, Asphalt head hurt, not more philosophy talk, he no like.”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads