• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Cleric? Hold me.

Particle_Man

Explorer
My party of six has: Wizard (me), Warlord, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, and Warlock.

No Cleric and no Paladin!

The Warlord can do a little healing but, yikes! I multi-classed the Wizard into Cleric, and should I live to 8th level, might sub in a Cleric utility for more healing.

Maybe I am still in 3e mentality, but I think we are setting ourselves up for a TPK.

Kordeth

First Post
Particle_Man said:

The Warlord can do a little healing but, yikes! I multi-classed the Wizard into Cleric, and should I live to 8th level, might sub in a Cleric utility for more healing.

Maybe I am still in 3e mentality, but I think we are setting ourselves up for a TPK.

Warlords handle healing just fine. Divine characters aren't required for healing in 4E. your group will be fine.

Mort_Q

First Post
"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run."

~ Kenny Rogers, The Gambler (1978)

Yaezakura

First Post
The Warlord heals almost as well as the Cleric. If your Warlord takes all the healing abilities that come along, they'll be in a very solid position to keep the group alive.

Cryptos

First Post
Particle_Man said:

This post threw me off because up to the point where I cut off the quote above, I thought this was going to be a "Horay! Everyone got to play a class they like, and no one was forced into one class to fulfill a role." Or "Yippie! No more trite polytheist fantasy religions forced down the party's throats! We can have as much or as little 'Holy Roller' as we want in our campaign!"

Then I got to this point:

Particle_Man said:

I think this is the first time I've seen someone openly worried about not having a cleric in all of the 4e discussions I've been following.

Cheer up, Particle Man. This is a good thing. Just play as a team, remember all of your capabilities (including each and every character's ability to suck it up once per encounter, effectively healing themselves) and go with it.

If you get a TPK with this party in 4e, it's not because you didn't have a cleric. It's either because of a really, really bad string of rolls; a failure of your DM to create a balanced encounter; or a failure of the players to adapt to 4e tactics.

Xorn

First Post
The group I'm running for has a dwarf fighter (maul), tielfing warlord (greataxe), halfling rogue (dagger), and elf ranger (longbow).

Their biggest worry isn't healing (the warlord is inspiring, and quite good at keeping them alive), but control! Getting overrun by minions is one of their biggest concerns--and the ranger uses her twin shot primarily to thin the minions out faster!

tylith

First Post
That was the same with my group but, then the dragonborn found out how useful his breath weapon was when they got surounded with minions so its a little less of a problem than it used to be.

side note- Keep on shadowfell SPOILER WARNING

WE are playing Keep on the Shadowfell w/ only 4 players (cleric, paladin, warlock, and rogue)

they were in the kobold lair battle and the minions surounded the cleric and the paladin got like 4 or 5 dead with his fire breath, after that they had almost taken them all until the second have came up.. Itontooth and the the wyrmpriest killed all but two (which ran away cowards)..

Next time im doing a rescue/escape mission.

CapnZapp

Legend
Cryptos said:
If you get a TPK with this party in 4e, it's not because you didn't have a cleric. It's either because of a really, really bad string of rolls; a failure of your DM to create a balanced encounter; or a failure of the players to adapt to 4e tactics.
Or a failure of yours to realize you have made a mistake and are facing superior opponents and didn't flee in time.

Oh wait, that's not supposed to happen in D&D.

Eldorian

First Post
Xorn said:
The group I'm running for has a dwarf fighter (maul), tielfing warlord (greataxe), halfling rogue (dagger), and elf ranger (longbow).

Their biggest worry isn't healing (the warlord is inspiring, and quite good at keeping them alive), but control! Getting overrun by minions is one of their biggest concerns--and the ranger uses her twin shot primarily to thin the minions out faster!

I'm running thru KotS and my party doesn't have a wizard, and it's really messing them up. They have only one decent aoe, that's the dragonborn's breath weapon. The number one minion killer in the party is the dwarf with cleave. I'm gonna have to start removing 4 minions in the big fights and putting in another regular mob so they don't get killed. They're having a terrible time with the infamous kolbold encounter that people were talking about a week ago. The dwarf died last attempt on the fight (they're running away after they kill a couple).

Lindorie

First Post
Kordeth said:
Warlords handle healing just fine
Is this true? We have a party of 6 without a Cleric. A few times, a party member has fallen to negative hit points. The Warlord tried to use Inspiring Word to bring them back up. After several discussions, we decided that since the downed character is unconscious, he can't hear the inspiring words to wake up.

If this is correct, this is a big difference between the Cleric and the Warlord; one that has keeps causing the party trouble.

BTW: We can't reference the books, as we are waiting the 4-6 weeks for mail to get to us.

Remove ads