D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

Charisma isn't "attractiveness."
Back in 3e, there was a short-lived attempt to introduce a 7th attribute to D&D that covered physical attractiveness. Comeliness. Charisma does cover personality, which could be seen by some as a form of 'mental attractiveness'. A person could be attracted by what they like about another person's personality.

Back in 3e, there was a short-lived attempt to introduce a 7th attribute to D&D that covered physical attractiveness. Comeliness. Charisma does cover personality, which could be seen by some as a form of 'mental attractiveness'. A person could be attracted by what they like about another person's personality.
I don't think an objective stat covering physical attractiveness makes much sense. What one finds attractive is quite subjective already, but in a setting with various non-human sapients it would be even more so. What a tortle and an elf would find attractive wouldn't have much in common.

Also, I don't want a stat tax for the privilege of getting to describe your character as hot. You're a main character in a fantasy story, you can be hot for free if you want.

I don't think an objective stat covering physical attractiveness makes much sense. What one finds attractive is quite subjective already, but in a setting with various non-human sapients it would be even more so. What a tortle and an elf would find attractive wouldn't have much in common.

Also, I don't want a stat tax for the privilege of getting to describe your character as hot. You're a main character in a fantasy story, you can be hot for free if you want.
Which is why Comeliness' appearance in D&D was so short-lived. ;)

True. At this point it might be more apt to rename the ability as 'Presence', as that is more along the lines of what it refers to. Verbally, non-verbally, visually, audibly, your aura, your magnetism, how you "present" yourself to other people.
This makes sense to me. :) A person with a low Presence score could be the type of person who is easily overlooked by other people (to be socially invisible or forgettable). A person with a high Presence score otoh could stride into any room would turn heads and just 'command' the room by being there.

Remove ads