D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
BTW - getting slightly off-track for just a second... I finally came up with a word to use that I've been looking for I can't tell you how long-- a word to replace 'Sleight of Hand' as meant to represent the agility of your fingers. I've always hated 'Sleight of Hand', 'Prestidigitation' has a magic connotation already in the game, 'Manipulation' has more of an emotional tie that a finger-agility tie nowadays, 'Fine Manipulation' is two words which also bugs me.

But I was recently reminded of 'Articulation' as a word that very much represents fine movement that I can use for a skill name now for pickpocketing, lock picking, trap removal, and other activities that require very facile finger action. Thank goodness, it took long enough. Now all that's left is for me to find a word to use for the warrior/arcane caster 1/2 caster that is also a single, non-compound word to go alongside Ranger and Paladin. I'd go with 'Witcher' at this point as it has become the most known archetype from fiction nowadays... but it's probably copyrighted by the author and his publishing company and thus can't be used. Oh well.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled bashing of gnomes and halflings. ;)

BTW - getting slightly off-track for just a second... I finally came up with a word to use that I've been looking for I can't tell you how long-- a word to replace 'Sleight of Hand' as meant to represent the agility of your fingers. I've always hated 'Sleight of Hand', 'Prestidigitation' has a magic connotation already in the game, 'Manipulation' has more of an emotional tie that a finger-agility tie nowadays, 'Fine Manipulation' is two words which also bugs me.

But I was recently reminded of 'Articulation' as a word that very much represents fine movement that I can use for a skill name now for pickpocketing, lock picking, trap removal, and other activities that require very facile finger action. Thank goodness, it took long enough. Now all that's left is for me to find a word to use for the warrior/arcane caster 1/2 caster that is also a single, non-compound word to go alongside Ranger and Paladin. I'd go with 'Witcher' at this point as it has become the most known archetype from fiction nowadays... but it's probably copyrighted by the author and his publishing company and thus can't be used. Oh well.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled bashing of gnomes and halflings. ;)

To me it sound like a skill for speaking clearly... :unsure:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
To me it sound like a skill for speaking clearly... :unsure:
Oh, I know, I had that thought too... but as robotics have become more and more emphasized in our culture (through Boston Dynamics and others)... 'articulation' representing the ability of movement is becoming more prominent. So I figure if I start hitting the word home now, maybe it'll get picked up and become even more prominent and the vocal part of it lessened, LOL.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics

given this adaptation exists The Hexer there has to be something that sounds like witcher that is a legally safe knockoff.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Back in 3e, there was a short-lived attempt to introduce a 7th attribute to D&D that covered physical attractiveness. Comeliness. Charisma does cover personality, which could be seen by some as a form of 'mental attractiveness'. A person could be attracted by what they like about another person's personality.
That was 1e actually. Unearthed Arcana. Definitely a weird one though.

Scribe

Legend
if you want Goliaths to be stronger than everyone else you would have to remove the stat cap of twenty for fixed plus stats as otherwise there can never be a difference.

I know, in my more complex implementation of it, there are various cap and ASI increases, penalties unique to the species options. Its closer to what PF2 became, with less steps.

If Comeliness were to exist in some form in 5e, it probably would be some kind of advantage/disadvantage factor for the Charisma-based skills that already exist. If you were role-playing a member of a particular species, wouldn't you have an easier time (advantage) convincing members of your own species and a harder time (disadvantage) doing it with members of a different species?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If Comeliness were to exist in some form in 5e, it probably would be some kind of advantage/disadvantage factor for the Charisma-based skills that already exist. If you were role-playing a member of a particular species, wouldn't you have an easier time (advantage) convincing members of your own species and a harder time (disadvantage) doing it with members of a different species?
There was a 1e era Dragon magazine article introducing Perception as a new ability score (somewhere in the 130s I think). I could still get behind that.

Remove ads