• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Hussar

Legend
That's what moderation and temporary bans are for. Besides, if the person never knows about it, does it really matter all that much(other than being mod worthy)? People will think the person is being a douche and the person he's being a douche to won't care as he will probably never know.

I don't see that as good enough reason to subject us to the mechanical issues the site has with the block feature, or to remove from me the right to see posts and respond to them in a group setting.

See the trick is, you have no right to see posts. That, right there, is the crux of the issue. You have zero right to see what I post. You have the opportunity to see what I post, solely based on whether or not I allow it. There are no rights to "read what other people say". If I choose not to engage with you, I should be allowed to do so without losing the ability to engage with everyone else.

As far as moderation goes, let's be honest, getting blocked rarely has anything to do with posts requiring mod intervention. It's most likely because the poster is tired of butting heads with someone and finds the conversation without merit. It's no different than me turning my back on you at a party and refusing to engage with you. You cannot force me to talk to you and, well, eavesdropping is just bad manners. :D

Like I said, what you wanted was tried and caused more problems than it was worth. I imagine behind the scenes that there were several complaints about sniping by ignored posters to the point where the ignore mechanics were changed by the site. In other words it became too much of a PITA to deal with, so, it was changed.

On a similar note, you used to be able to leave messages with xp awards. That stopped because people were using the messages to leave snarky, sniping parting shots and misusing the xp system. The Laugh option was changed to Laugh With and is not meant to mean Laugh At. Again, the system was changed because it became to much of a PITA to deal with.

Such is life. It happens. It's not personal and it is probably seen as the best of a bad situation.

S

Sunseeker

This is spot on. There is no such thing as a deterministically rational price for magic items. No matter what numbers they chose, almost everybody (that cares) is going to gripe. And the rest of the people are going to gripe about the wasted pages.

However, I could see a half page or so of advice to the DM on how to price things in their own campaign. That might be useful.

I don't see how putting ~4000gp at the bottom of an item is a waste of pages. In fact I don't see it taking up more than a couple millimeters of space.

People are going to complain no matter what, see: this thread.

You can't make everyone happy with whatever decision you make.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See the trick is, you have no right to see posts. That, right there, is the crux of the issue. You have zero right to see what I post. You have the opportunity to see what I post, solely based on whether or not I allow it. There are no rights to "read what other people say". If I choose not to engage with you, I should be allowed to do so without losing the ability to engage with everyone else.

Well, as this site doesn't belong to anyone blocking me, I have the same right to read their posts as they have to post. ;)

As far as moderation goes, let's be honest, getting blocked rarely has anything to do with posts requiring mod intervention. It's most likely because the poster is tired of butting heads with someone and finds the conversation without merit. It's no different than me turning my back on you at a party and refusing to engage with you. You cannot force me to talk to you and, well, eavesdropping is just bad manners. :D

True, but douchey sniping like you mentioned is only a problem if it's mod worthy. If it's not mod worthy, it's really sniping, it's just a response to a post. So mod the ones that are a problem and let the others just be as they aren't a problem.

Like I said, what you wanted was tried and caused more problems than it was worth. I imagine behind the scenes that there were several complaints about sniping by ignored posters to the point where the ignore mechanics were changed by the site. In other words it became too much of a PITA to deal with, so, it was changed.
And created a bigger pain in the ass for many posters here. Their system is broken.

On a similar note, you used to be able to leave messages with xp awards. That stopped because people were using the messages to leave snarky, sniping parting shots and misusing the xp system. The Laugh option was changed to Laugh With and is not meant to mean Laugh At. Again, the system was changed because it became to much of a PITA to deal with.

Those are not really in the same league, and those changes didn't result in breaking the forum.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't see how putting ~4000gp at the bottom of an item is a waste of pages. In fact I don't see it taking up more than a couple millimeters of space.

People are going to complain no matter what, see: this thread.

You can't make everyone happy with whatever decision you make.

You seem to be talking about what you wish they had done. Everybody else has been talking about what they should do in the future, i.e. whether or not they should release a price list.

But, yeah, if they had included prices in the original DMG it could have been included next to the rarity and probably wouldn't have affected page count...

...and I still think it's a bad idea to try to set an official price for magic items.

S

Sunseeker

You seem to be talking about what you wish they had done. Everybody else has been talking about what they should do in the future, i.e. whether or not they should release a price list.
As a PDF supplement online, "page count" would be fairly meaningless. I wouldn't mind a "Tome of Cool Things" with a couple pages listing prices fo existing items.

...and I still think it's a bad idea to try to set an official price for magic items.
Well, that is one of the fundamental disagreements in this thread after all.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
By the way, have any of you corrected @Shidaku about what I actually said in this conversation?

Oh, and I guess it's okay for people like @Shidaku to snipe at me after blocking me, but not the other way around. Nice.

cmad1977

Hero
By the way, have any of you corrected @Shidaku about what I actually said in this conversation?

Oh, and I guess it's okay for people like @Shidaku to snipe at me after blocking me, but not the other way around. Nice.

We’re talking about magic Marts here. Whatever your on about isn’t particularly important or relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Guest 6801328

Well, that is one of the fundamental disagreements in this thread after all.

I know. Just making clear that it's not only page count or opportunity cost I'm opposed to; I think the idea itself is fundamentally flawed.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We’re talking about magic Marts here. Whatever your on about

This.

@Shidaku wrote:

As someone who has Maxperson on ignore, what I have seen of his comments only reinforces my position from earlier: Nothing of value was lost by me no longer being able to see his posts. I mean, what sort of warped position do you need to have to claim you are the victim of cyber-bulling because I no longer allow him to converse with me? It's absurd.

Making false claims about me from a blocked post is a crappy thing to do. And it's exactly what forcing me to block him is supposed to prevent.

Remove ads