D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max-
Please take this in the way I mean it. You need to let this go. I've already mentioned that if you really view this as an actual forum issue (bullying!), the proper place to raise this is either in the metathread or in a PM to Morrus.

I'll let this go. However, the reason that I don't PM Morrus is that I've PMd him on another issue where all I needed was a bit of help on something simple and got ignored. No response. No help. Nothing. I have no faith in him on something that is actually serious if he can't be bothered to respond to something simple.

D

dco

Hours reading boring stuff and how magic items work, what you need, convince the DM if you want a ring of protection instead of a cloak, boooh and sell a splendid magic weapon because you have 6 feats related to another one and your class is only feats, etc.
Thats was a reason to not play D&D.

Satyrn

First Post
But, I'm not quite sure what you mean then. We HAVE a price list for magic items. The baseline price list is right there in the DMG. Now, the exact prices aren't there - the prices are given in a range - but, there is a price list.

How would anything change by having a different price list?

For me, one big desirable change is the stuff in my rulebooks is far more organized than my DM notes.

Then there's also some benefit during the game, too. Let's say a player has found some shady fence who can sell him a cloak of the bat. I might decide "yeah, he's quoting whatever price is listed in this book. Look it up while I switch the scene over to player B hamming it up in the tavern."

That is, I can use it as a tool to speed up my adjudication so I can move on to more fun things. And it saves me from my own poor disorganization.

So there's two uses I have for such a list.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Hours reading boring stuff and how magic items work, what you need, convince the DM if you want a ring of protection instead of a cloak, boooh and sell a splendid magic weapon because you have 6 feats related to another one and your class is only feats, etc.
Thats was a reason to not play D&D.

This is an entirely valid gripe but I can only see it come up when you're building a character over 20 levels and decide what you want to be when your character grows up from the onset.

Take optimization based on game rules out of the discussion for a minute and think about optimization based on the game world.

Personally, I advise my players to not build their characters to 20 during character generation. Reason for this is that I believe its better from a player perspective to build a character around the nuances of the campaign and game world than the rules set.

That way if you happen to find a masterwork axe of eternal fubar +2 and don't have the proficiency for it yet, you know you can keep the axe and get the skill later. It doesn't mess up your grand plan for your character. Same can be said for any other choice as whatever comes up in the game might be cooler than what you imagined to begin with.

Peace
KB

G

Guest 6801328

But that might just drive me to piss off everyone.

For real. Would save time to have a checkbox below every username labeled "Replace with XKCD?"

I'd probably check off my own name. Enworld would be improved by replacing all my posts with XKCD.

Satyrn

First Post
quantum_mechanics.png

firefox_wicca.png

G

Guest 6801328

For me, one big desirable change is the stuff in my rulebooks is far more organized than my DM notes.

Then there's also some benefit during the game, too. Let's say a player has found some shady fence who can sell him a cloak of the bat. I might decide "yeah, he's quoting whatever price is listed in this book. Look it up while I switch the scene over to player B hamming it up in the tavern."

That is, I can use it as a tool to speed up my adjudication so I can move on to more fun things. And it saves me from my own poor disorganization.

So there's two uses I have for such a list.

Just for argument's sake, what would be the problem with totally making up a number without putting any thought into it? Or even rolling percentile dice and multiplying by 1,000 gold?

Let's say the official price in the rulebook would have been X, but in the absence of such a number you quote X/3. Or 3X. (You can replace the 3 with a 2 or a 10 or whatever.) What's the downside to pricing it too high or too low?

If you price it too high the player might grumble and either buy it or not. If you price it too low the player will get a screaming deal. But still for more gold than if he/she had looted it in a dungeon. How does this actually affect the campaign?

Is literally the only benefit of the list that it saves you the time of making up the number?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads