• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's not a reply to them. It's a reply to everyone in the thread. Period. There's no other rational way to look at it on a forum where every reply can be responded to by everyone who sees it.

And I don't know what was so funny about my prior post, so you likely engaged in abuse of the laugh feature. Shame on you. I get hit with broken links(and most links are broken) multiple times every time I come to this forum, which is multiple times per day. So yes, you do need to replace "some" with "lots" in order to be accurate.

It was funny because it was ridiculous, and seemed to intentionally miss the point.

Block works. It also has bugs wrt notification links. Changing “some” to “lots” is a silly attempt to make a perceived difference of scale seem like a difference of type.

edit: And no, it isn’t a reply to the entire thread. Just like if I’m in a conversation with several people IRL, and I respond to one person’s point directly, I’m not addressing everyone, especially people who happen to be standing nearby that I’ve gone out of my way to make clear I do not want anything to do with. Most people understand this and act accordingly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It was funny because it was ridiculous, and seemed to intentionally miss the point.

Block works. It also has bugs wrt notification links. Changing “some” to “lots” is a silly attempt to make a perceived difference of scale seem like a difference of type.

Scale matters dude. If I experienced this effect once a week, no big deal. Multiple times during each of multiple visits a day? That's waaaaaaay too often.

doctorbadwolf

Scale matters dude. If I experienced this effect once a week, no big deal. Multiple times during each of multiple visits a day? That's waaaaaaay too often.

Ok. I’ve literally never said it isn’t an issue, so I’m not sure what your point even is. You keep trying to argue with me on the notifications front, when I repeatedly agree that it’s an issue that should be fixed. What even is your goal?

doctorbadwolf

Why do you care if others are discussing something you brought up? If you bring up a good idea, is it really some horrific experience for you if I discuss it with others?

Don’t try to hyperbolise what I’ve said to argue against an exaggerated position. You of all people need to keep your argumentive methodology as honest as possible, especially so soon after telling me (presumably with a straight face) “shame on you” for a perceived “abuse” of the laugh function.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
...Changing “some” to “lots” is a silly attempt to make a perceived difference of scale seem like a difference of type.

There have been a few arguments against block in it's current state. One of those arguments has been that block makes such a mess of threads that using the forum becomes burdensome when you get blocked. So yes, the matter of degree is a very valid point.

doctorbadwolf

And some of us, despite having literally tens of thousands of posts manage to do so without getting blocked by other posters too often.

If you are finding your board experience deteriorating significantly because of the number of people that have blocked you, umm... well... it might not be them that’s the problem.

Funny thing is I’m on my phone for the first time in ages. I wonder just how many posts I’m seeing that I normally wouldn’t.

Yeah, even though a couple very active members have me blocked...the board is still totally usable for me. The notification thing is a problem tha needs fixing, but it isn’t on a level that merits trashing the block feature until it can be reworked.

FrogReaver

To everyone that does still want to read my posts,

I have purged the below quote of it's link and user name reference so I don't force notifications about my reply that the poster doesn't wish to see.

The ignore function didn’t work very well at stopping the other person from being part of my forum experience. Several times I still had to deal with people who I had ignored, because they’d read my posts and quote or tag me in reply (I don’t remember which was possible, bc I don’t dwell on past forum mechanics).

That would definitely be a problem with an ignore feature. Any good ignore feature that allows other users to quote the person ignoring them should default to suppressing notifications from the ignored user.

They’d also read my posts and go back and forth with others in the thread about them, etc.

This is saying that another person, even one whose posts you no longer want to see, should not be able to discuss the content of your non-private posts with others as long as you don't have to see what they are saying. I don't get why that would ever be an issue.

Also, a lot of folks find it make-ones-skin-crawl creepy when someone they have ignored or otherwise “cold-shouldered” online circumvents that to read their posts.

The nature of an online forum that is open to the public is what allows that. If they dislike that feature they shouldn't use online forums that are open to the public IMO.

My reaction isn’t that strong, but I frankly just care a lot more about their ability to use the forums without being skeeved out by a shadow creeper than I care about someone’s sense of entitlement to view all posts on the forum always.

The other side also doesn't care about any sense of entitlement when it comes to disallowing certain logged in users from seeing your posts while allowing the whole unlogged in world to do so.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
t: And no, it isn’t a reply to the entire thread. Just like if I’m in a conversation with several people IRL, and I respond to one person’s point directly, I’m not addressing everyone, especially people who happen to be standing nearby that I’ve gone out of my way to make clear I do not want anything to do with. Most people understand this and act accordingly.

What a great example, and you totally refute your own position with it. When you are standing in a group conversation in real life and one person makes a point that you respond to, you are responding to the entire group in the process and the other 8 people there can all respond to what you say without intrusion into anything that is in any way private.

FrogReaver

Why do you care if others are discussing something you brought up? If you bring up a good idea, is it really some horrific experience for you if I discuss it with others?

He can't answer that. The furtherst he's gotten is attacking the character of such posters by calling them creeps. Not a lot of reasoning as to why commenting about a person's point that has you ignored should be considered creepy though...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Don’t try to hyperbolise what I’ve said to argue against an exaggerated position. You of all people need to keep your argumentive methodology as honest as possible, especially so soon after telling me (presumably with a straight face) “shame on you” for a perceived “abuse” of the laugh function.

This is a blatant evasion. There was no hyperbole involved. Quite often before the ignore feature was changed to be abusive, I would respond to people who had blocked me, but put out an idea that I did or did not agree with. My response was to everyone in the thread, not to the person I was quoting.

So answer the questions. Why do you care if others are discussing something you brought up? Why is it a bad thing for someone to discuss an idea of yours with other people?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads