• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nobody will play a wizard or sorcerer!

Bystander

First Post
Do Necromancers need to be evil?

My DM won't let my character use any "raise the dead" spells unless my character is evil. He says that any tinkering with a corpse- is foul play. Not by the rules of his campaign either. He just has a personal moral problem with it. What should I tell him?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Al said:
I can't understand this thread. Most of the time people are ranting about how strong the wizard is (I for one was embroiled in a big battle with Mal Malenkirk over mid-level killer wizards)...

We were in a fight? Watcha talking about?

Everything was peachy and we were all politely exchanging notes on the impact of a powerful wizard in D&D.

These were the good old days on the old boards. A golden era of cooperation and civility.

*sigh contentedly in a fit of nostalgia*

Al said:
...and they clearly dominate at high-level.

WHAT? You're still holding to that silly conception of overpowered wizard? Do I need to start beating you over the head all over again to show you how wrong you are!

:mad:

Anyway, I agree with Al that a 1st level wizard is far from deadweight. Unless he prepares shield AND mage armor while in the grip of a paranoid fit! In that case, yeah, his options will be somewhat reduced...

Pick useful level 1 spells, rely on your friends for defense and remember that you have level 0 spells (daze actually works at low level!). Also, your BAB is just as good (bad) as that of the cleric. In fact, the wizard is usually a better archer than the cleric at that level.

When the wizard is out of spell, so is the cleric. Given the limited HP of the front line warriors, everybody should be ready to call it a day by the time the wizard is out of option.

And Al; The wizard in my campaign has reached level 10 and he's steal not showing any sign of stealing the show. Useful yes, overpowered no. :p

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Do Necromancers need to be evil?

Bystander said:
My DM won't let my character use any "raise the dead" spells unless my character is evil. He says that any tinkering with a corpse- is foul play. Not by the rules of his campaign either. He just has a personal moral problem with it. What should I tell him?

Ask what happens if one of the PCs dies (it will probably happen sooner or later, unless he fudges routinely). Is he willing to relent in this case?

MythandLore

First Post
Spell casters like Wizards and Clerics are so uber-powered everyone (that can keep track of numbers) wants to play one in our games.
One game that got-up to around 17-18th level there were 3 Wizards (Shadow, Arch Mage, and a Reg) an assassin and one fighter.
After a while the fighter and assassin got really really pist becauses they were so much weaker (the assassin most of all, I think he died around 9+ times).
No one wanted to play a cleric that game though.

Bystander

First Post
Re: Re: Do Necromancers need to be evil?

hong said:

Ask what happens if one of the PCs dies (it will probably happen sooner or later, unless he fudges routinely). Is he willing to relent in this case?

Oh- Of course! Theres NOTHING wrong if it brings his character back to life!

Tom Cashel

First Post
Caliban said:

No, only classes that have the Cure Light Wounds spell on their class list can use it: Cleric, Druid, Bard, Ranger, and Paladin, plus various prestige classes.

I couldn't find that info in the description of Wands in the DMG. Where is it explained?

(gah...I knew it all in 1E and 2E and now I have to learn it all again... :))

Remove ads