Nobody will play a wizard or sorcerer!

Bystander

First Post
I play in three separate D&D groups. One with three of us. One with 8. And one with 5. And here's something I noticed...

Nobody will play a wizard or sorcerer.

Unless, it's as a second class that is. They will consider adding one of those two classes after they've gotten more hit points from some other class. But if we start at 1st-3rd level- nobody will risk having only d4 HPs... including me.

I haven't been the DM for any of these three games, but I will be soon, so I was wondering if any of you have run into the same dilemma? Is there anything that can be done to encourage characters to risk dying of a stiff breeze like those two classes seem likely to do? Give them more items? Bonus HPs? Role-Play encounters so that no monsters ever get to threatening the mages? What?

Its almost as if WotC stacked too much against these classes. Way lower HP, AC, Attack Bonus, Damage. I know they get much stronger magically, and even as far as AC goes, as the game goes on, but its a very unappealing class to begin with.

Wild Karrde

First Post
Usually the only classes that I have problems getting played are Bard (which is fine by me) and Cleric.

I play with 5 players in one group and we have a sorcerer and a wizard. and 8 players in another group and we have two wizards and a sorcerer.

These are older players though and the group recognizes the power of fireball so they go out of there way to protect the spellcasters at lower levels. And this definately pays off.

Trellian

Explorer
8 players? oh my... thats dire...

Anyway... when we started playing 3ed fall of 2000 (couple of weeks after the PHB shipped), we had both a wizard and a sorcerer! Granted, the wizard had 18 strength! (she planned on multiclassing into fighter later), but she survived until 4th or 5th level I guess, when she was poisoned to death.

If they pick elf as a race, they get proficiency in longsword and bow I think.. so your attacks do some more damage than your regular staff.

The sorcerer drowned at 2nd level, but he created another sorcerer that has flourished up to 10th level by now. His trick is to be a coward though. Invisibility, fly etc...

Bottom line is, as a DM... be somewhat nice to arcane spellcasters.. don't make all the bad guys target him. And as a player, stand in the back tossing spells, and do not be afraid to run as hell if you are seriously injured.

Now, if I could only get some of my players to play a cleric.. that would have been nice..

hong

WotC's bitch
Trellian said:
Now, if I could only get some of my players to play a cleric.. that would have been nice..

It seems that despite WOTC's efforts, not many players still want to play the party medic; at least, not as a full-time job. If the problem is that they tend to run out of healing, suggest to them that they can get a wand of cure light wounds. You'll still need someone who can cast divine spells (or a bard, or someone with Use Magic Device skill) though.

EOL

First Post
Sound like an issue with how lethal the campaign is. I guess if I knew that having 4 hp's meant certain death I would probably hesitate to play one as well, though generally speaking your average sorc. or wiz. will put his second highest stat into con which generally translates into at least a 14. In any case that would mean they would start with 6 which puts them in the ball park. At that point shield and mage armor can give them as good or better AC then the fighters. I would make sure that you gor fairly easy on them until the get to 2nd level at which point they should probably have at least 10 hp's which translates into being able to take one blow without dying (-10) and from there on out if the character playing the Sorcerer or the Wizard is smart and doesn't take unneeded risks they should do fine.

Wild Karrde

First Post
Trellian said:
8 players? oh my... thats dire...

(edited by me)

Amen to that brother. Slows everything down for sure but we're old friends so it actually runs pretty smooth. We had the option of splitting into two groups but everyone wanted to stay together. Although I would hate to try this with players i didn't know or with any other players for that matter

Madfox

First Post
In my experience the problems with a cleric has got nothing to do with being the party medic. The problem has to do with serving a higher power and through that being somewhat limited in their freedom. Of course, this is nothing but an illusion since you should select the deity that fits your character, not the other way around. Still, I see why people have difficulties doing this.

As for wizards and sorcerers, I must say I have noticed it as well. To be honest though, I always had a lack of people willing to play pure wizards. Not because I don't cut them some slack, simply because my players lack the proper attitude to keep playing a wizard fun.

hong

WotC's bitch
Madfox said:
In my experience the problems with a cleric has got nothing to do with being the party medic. The problem has to do with serving a higher power and through that being somewhat limited in their freedom.

I can't say I've ever seen this myself.

As for wizards and sorcerers, I must say I have noticed it as well. To be honest though, I always had a lack of people willing to play pure wizards. Not because I don't cut them some slack, simply because my players lack the proper attitude to keep playing a wizard fun.

In one of the campaigns I'm in, we have two wizards and a sorc out of a party of 5-8; the players seem to be having a jolly old time. (Mind you, one of them is the sort of player who can't seem to go two weeks without changing characters.)

Look for the tale coming to a Story Hour near you soon!

Uller

Adventurer
Hmmm. I've not run into this. Wizards are very popular in my group(in fact, one of our players only plays wizards).

Ask your group _why_ they don't want to play a wizard. Then address that specific concern. (maybe they just don't want to or maybe they prefer characters who are more...hands on when it comes to a fight).

If it as about low starting HP, give _everyone_ a couple extra to start with. It's been my experience that low-mid level fighters die more often than mages(assuming mages take some defensive spells).

hong

WotC's bitch
Uller said:
If it as about low starting HP, give _everyone_ a couple extra to start with. It's been my experience that low-mid level fighters die more often than mages(assuming mages take some defensive spells).

Or just start everyone off at 2nd or 3rd level, instead of 1st. A 1st level wizard is pretty much deadweight anyway, IMO. This will also let you throw more meaningful challenges at the party than just giant rats and skeletons.

Remove ads