WotC non-OGL alternative to D&D

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, to make it clear, I was contrasting FAGE and DAGE. Modern AGE appears to have more profound changes.
Yup, Modern is class-less, for starter, but it would be somewhat easy to use its rules to make a class-less fantasy game.

And yeah, FAGE and DAGE are pretty similar. The FAGE Companion also had the Mass Combat and the Organization rules from DAGE.

There's also Blue Rose, which use a version of FAGE, but with a very different magic/psionic system that uses a strain chart instead of an MP pool. It can be ported to FAGE pretty easily too (IIRC, there's even the ''strain system'' variant for mages in the Companion).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yup, Modern is class-less, for starter, but it would be somewhat easy to use its rules to make a class-less fantasy game.

And yeah, FAGE and DAGE are pretty similar. The FAGE Companion also had the Mass Combat and the Organization rules from DAGE.

There's also Blue Rose, which use a version of FAGE, but with a very different magic/psionic system that uses a strain chart instead of an MP pool. It can be ported to FAGE pretty easily too (IIRC, there's even the ''strain system'' variant for mages in the Companion).
I've actually got BR2, but I'm even less familiar with it than FAGE (I was a kickstarter backer, but by the time it arrived I had fallen out of love with AGE so I only gave it a casual look).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've actually got BR2, but I'm even less familiar with it than FAGE (I was a kickstarter backer, but by the time it arrived I had fallen out of love with AGE so I only gave it a casual look).
There's interesting ideas in it for sure. The setting is not for everyone, but the mechanics can be ported in a more generic or different AGE game.

I recently ran Savage Pathfinder. I wouldn't say it "sucks" (at least IMO). I'm not completely sold on the system, but it's something I could learn to make work (which, honestly, I have to do for 5e anyway).

Savage Pathfinder Post-Mortem (Spoilers)
You misunderstood him, I think. There was Savage Worlds and Pathfinder conversions of Earthdawn, and apparently they sucked. It's not Savage Worlds Pathfinder that sucks - in fact, it rocks :)

Voadam

Legend
You misunderstood him, I think. There was Savage Worlds and Pathfinder conversions of Earthdawn, and apparently they sucked. It's not Savage Worlds Pathfinder that sucks - in fact, it rocks :)
Good distinction.

Pathfinder for Savage Worlds is by Pinnacle, the Savage Worlds company.

Earthdawn Pathfinder edition and Earthdawn Savage Worlds edition are put out by the new FASA that has the rights to Earthdawn. The two product lines predate Pathfinder for Savage Worlds.

Weiley31

Legend
There's also Gun&Slinger where one player plays as a Wanderer/Gunslinger and another person plays as their gun.

It uses Gold Fish+Blackjack as its gameplay system. (Seriously).

Just.....don't draw a Joker card or "it" will come after you and your gun.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For me, unfortunately, I can't think of any non-OGL game that scratches that itch. They're all just too different, either mechanically, or conceptually, or both, to replace some version of D&D on anything more than a temporary basis.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases