Norse Pantheon

Also what would the dreadwolves be like giant undead dire wolves maybe?

I was going to say more about them in a later post (or posts, more likely) on 'enemies of the Norse Pantheon' -- 'dreadwolves' are things like Fenrir, Garm, Hati, Skoll ... the apocalyptic super-wolves of Norse mythology. They're not undead, no (though, actually, I can see justification for giving Garm undead traits...)

The base one would probably be a Behemoth Legendary Wolf like Garm in the Epic Bestiary, but they'd get much bigger and nastier from there.

Enemies of the Norse Pantheon

The enemies of the Norse Pantheon fall into four major categories:

Dragons. The greatest of all dragons native to Reality, Nidhogg, gnaws at the root of the World Tree itself. Even the gods will not trouble this monster; but Thor's greatest foe is the Midgard Serpent (a Great x12 Wyrm Brine Dragon* of unthinkable age and size).

Dreadwolves. Enormous wolves of preternatural might, these creatures are harbingers of Ragnarok, the doom of the gods. The greater, especially their lord Fenrir, are currently bound, but even the lesser ones are terrifying.

Most of these beings are Behemoth Legendary Wolves (see the Epic Bestiary - Garm), but some are even larger, or possess great intelligence or unusual powers (such as breath weapons).

Giants and Jotunns. The giants, led by the jotunns - giant Immortals, that is, beings of godlike power which do not draw their power from worship - are the greatest threat to the gods and the universe.

Jotunheim has no law but strength, but the rhimthurs (frost-giant Immortals) generally rule over vast numbers of frost-giants, who themselves enslave the weaker, less intelligent ogres and hill giants. The rhimthurs themselves have no single lord, but the strongest among them is Bergelmir, who may in fact be an Avatar of imprisoned Ymir, the Sidereal of Jotunheim.

Muspellheim, by contrast, is a regimented realm of fire giants and eldjotunns (fire-giant Immortals) in a military organization preparing for the final war at Ragnarok. Their lord was originally the eldjotunn elder god Surtr, but he is currently bound and his avatar rules the plane in his name.

Undead. The hosts of the undead under the authority of Hel, the intermediate goddess who rules over the dead of the nine worlds, form a terrible force. At Ragnarok, this host shall march forth led by Hel and Loki.

---

*OK, I'm open to suggestions on this one. I think by U_K's set up, he should be a Great-Great-Great Wyrm epic dragon, but there isn't any appropriate epic dragon in the bestiary, and I'm not sure "big sea serpent" is enough concept for another epic dragon type. So making him an ultra-advanced brine dragon (from Dragonlance) is the best I can come up with right now.

Howdy Khisanth amigo! :)

I think certainly the Draugr and Disir would make for interesting enemies. I have a very nice Disir entry ready for a future Epic (Vampire?) Bestiary that has about 8 entries including some Primordials linked to the Disir.

I remember seeing the Pathfinder version of the Draugr and being massively unimpressed. Draugr should be exceptionally tough to kill. I'm thinking they are like "Zombies for Gods" in a way.

In addition to the monster types you listed, Dark Elves and Trolls would also be enemies of the Norse Pantheon.

Dragons would of course be Linnorms, which should be more powerful in melee than regular dragons but maybe slightly less magical. Going by previous incarnations in D&D.

I think it would not just be Dreadwolves but potentially all manner of (Scandinavian) Legendary (Behemoth) Animals.

Remove ads