• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not an Enless Quest book, but something similar

It might be a couple of things:

1) Super Endless Quest - like Endless Quest, but with numbers as part of the book.

Non- TSR:
2) Lone Wolf - Random number chart instead of dice, but number crunching and stats and such. Awesome series, and I have wonderful nostalgia for the series. Hard as hell to get a complete set, which I've got.

Not as hard as you might think.... Mongoose is republishing and updating them, PLUS you can get them on-line:

Project Aon

...just follow the Books link. Not quite all of them are there yet, but they're coming.

Also, over at RPGnet there's been a series of "Let's Play" threads working through the Lone Wolf books -- here's the current one.

Voadam

Legend
I believe it was also Steve Jackson Games that put out the Sorcery! books such as The Seven Serpents. It was endless quest style with dice rolling for combats (and dice rolls printed on the bottoms of the page for random results by fliping open the book) and you could play either a fighter or a fighter mage.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Steve Jackson, the co-author with Ian Livingstone of the first Fighting Fantasy gamebooks is British and a different person from the guy who founded SJ Games (Ogre, Car Wars, GURPS, etc...)
Steve and Ian were also the two guys who founded a certain game shop out in Hammersmith called Games Workshop...
How's that for trivia?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
To increase the confusion, the american Steve Jackson authored some fighting fantasy books ,Scorpion Swamp for example.
True, and since authors besides the original duo were not credited, Steve Jackson must be one of the few person ever to have been a ghost writer under its own name! :lol:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Steve and Ian were also the two guys who founded a certain game shop out in Hammersmith called Games Workshop...
How's that for trivia?
Bah! A negligible endeavor compared to The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Deathtrap Dungeon and City of Thieves! :p

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer
Back in the early 80s, a couple of my friends played through an adventure book of some kind -- it was like an Endless Quest book, but there were actual stats/numbers involved, and they rolled dice to resolve things. If I'm remembering correctly, they were about the size of a standard paperback.

I remember hearing them compare how they got through some sections of the book, but I don't remember any details of the conversations.

I never played the book (books?), so I don't know any more than this. But I'd like to know what it was and how it played. Would it be worth looking up today for a little basic solo play without a computer?

Bullgrit
Total Bullgrit

I know that TSR had some kind of Endless Quest book that used a dice mechanic and had some kind of D&D stats. I can't remember what title I had, but the book was about twice the size of their regular Endless Quest books. I think the book I had, I had to fight against some kind of assassin or evil monk.

I had (and still have) a lot of the Lone Wolf books, the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks and the TolkienQuest books. The TolkienQuest were especially cool, because instead of just being told to go from one section to another, you actually had a little hexmap included with the book, and you moved from hex to hex, reading what happened to you at each location. I always thought that was a lot of fun.

Other than that, my favorites were always the FFGB's City of Thieves and Forest of Doom. I always thought Warlock of Firetop Mountain was boring and tedious. YMMV, obviously, as that's considered a classic by many.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Are any of these books worth looking up, buying, and playing if there's no nostalgic/sentimental attachment to them?

Bullgrit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads