Not using Grid / minis / pawns

Mercule

Adventurer
We bounce between a grid and TotM. Generally, the more threatening and/or campaign significant the encounter is, the more likely I'll choose to use a grid.

Grids clear up confusion, but often slow down play. I do not think it's fair to anyone at the table to take the time to draw the terrain and any other tactically relevant bits for a random encounter with a handful of orcs. On the other hand, I've got a poster-sized sheet of 1" graph paper that I often use to pre-draw BBEG-type encounters. I have to have reasonable expectation that the group will hit that encounter in the next couple sessions, though, to do so. For other cases, I have a set of Tact-Tiles (and am waiting on my new GNL mats) for ad hoc mapping.

One trick I've added in the last few months is the idea of zone-based combat (cribbed from FATE). I'll do a rough map that may or may not be to scale, but divide it into zones. For the most part, this means just declaring how many increments of 30' (standard movement rate) the various groups are from one another. It can also include things like "on the road" and "in the brush". Most area effect spells are going to hit anyone in a given "zone", so I just let it go, barring any special circumstances. I've actually used it for pretty large-scale combats (the camp around Scarlet Moon Hall, for example) and it's been expedient without sacrificing too much clarity or tactical thinking. The players seem to enjoy it, even when they've had multiple characters go down -- I haven't explicitly asked, but I've got a couple players who would definitely give feedback if it bothered them.

Before doing the zone thing, I'd seriously considered going to a gridless mat that still was set to 1" = 5'. I got very frustrated by the constant chess-move quality of combats where some players would constantly recount their movements around the board and count ranges and areas of effect multiple times before picking a spell to cast. I realize that may be fine by some people, but it bothered me and several players. My thought was that going to a tape-measure would ease that a bit and also get rid of the overly tidy commonality of "the fireball cuts a neat line between the bad guys' line and the PCs". Doing the latter once is kind of cool. Doing it every session starts to erode my suspension of disbelief.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I did original post on my Ipad and for some reason it cut half of it off . . .weird.

In any case, part of my hesitation:

- cost! I'm a gamer on a budget! Pathfinder bestiary box & flip mat will set me back close to $80 although having played Pathfinder before I think the pawns are great. I am considering getting the Pathfinder beginner box which is 1/2 the price and comes with 80 pawns and a double sided reusable flip mat. I don't play Pathfinder anymore but would save $ and still get what I need. Flip-mats with art are great but appx $15 a pop . . !

- space! Obviously all this stuff takes up space both in session and out of session and I just don't have it right now.

Also taking into consideration I'm just getting a new group together and are first session is still pending. Suspect I will go without to start and see if the group gels, and we get some momentum going then will look at picking up some and adding that to the game if needed. I agree is nice though for combats and can help new players learn . . .

Wormwood

Adventurer
I *hate* playing RPGs on a grid with a passion, but my players absolutely insist upon it so I acquiesce.

But yeah, once I'm done DMing (next week!) I'm giving the new DM all the stupid maps and tiles and tokens I've accumulated over the years and he can play boardgame heroes™ as long as he likes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Only use a grid for major things. Most often minis are just used for general reference. Any delay caused by lack of preciseness is much less than the delay caused by drawing out the area on the dry erase mat anyway.

Magil

First Post
Dungeons and Dragons seems very clearly designed with a grid in mind, as much as certain individuals (including developers) claim otherwise. The rule set focuses primarily on combat, and that combat is meant to be resolved as a turn-based tactics game, and uses a lot of precise measurements. I don't know how far this goes back, as I started playing towards the tail end of 3rd edition, but given the DnD predecessors were tactical wargames I'd guess pretty far.

I am personally of the opinion that you absolutely can make it work without the grid, but the combat sections of the game are much more tactically (and often generally) engaging when using one. I would not personally play in a game without a grid because while I enjoy roleplaying and a good story, I play Dungeons and Dragons because I also like turn-based tactics games.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I *hate* playing RPGs on a grid with a passion, but my players absolutely insist upon it so I acquiesce.

But yeah, once I'm done DMing (next week!) I'm giving the new DM all the stupid maps and tiles and tokens I've accumulated over the years and he can play boardgame heroes™ as long as he likes.

You can send it all to me if you like . . . I'll pay for the courier! ;)

Some of my players gripe about it, but I refuse to use a grid. I never have in my games and never will.

Now, I do have miniatures for my characters, for when I go to cons and the DM there uses a grid. Because if they’re going to use minis, I’d rather have one than use a random die I have lying about.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've read it twice now that since there aren't specific rules for gridless play, that means that the game was designed for gridded play. I disgree. In 5e, grid rules are optional, which clearly infers that the default style is without grid. Also, the rules for gridless play aren't there because they aren't needed. What would you have as gridless rules? You wouldn't, because everything is just "what feels right". That's sort of the whole point behind gridless play.

Remember, AD&D used precise measurements as well, but most certainly wasn't "default grid" play.

sim-h

Explorer
I've never used a grid, neither now with 5e or back the last time I DMed, with 1e. A piece of paper with some scrawled positions on it sometimes gets used if I myself feel like the players need to be aware their positioning is important - like when they recently attempted a long rest in a dangerous area with few HPs and no per rest abilities left, and were ambushed....

Otherwise I've found theatre of the mind more than enough.

I wouldn't DM with a grid unless someone handed me pre-painted accurate miniatures of every participant together with aesthetically pleasing and accurate floorplans. I prefer to spend time preparing the plot and aids to speed combat, rather than physical props that will actually slow it down. You can't beat the imagination, in my view. If I can picture the scene I can describe it to the players, in as much detail as they request.

Remove ads