• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR NuTSR Sells Rebound 1E Core Rulebooks For $650 Each

Despite being embroiled in ongoing legal disputes with WotC regarding use of the TSR trademark (amongst other things), NuTSR has posted images of leather-bound compilations of AD&D 1E books they say are rebindings of old material, complete with the disputed logo. They're selling these books for $650 each. The Deities & Demigods book (middle top in the image) has a typo on the front cover...

Despite being embroiled in ongoing legal disputes with WotC regarding use of the TSR trademark (amongst other things), NuTSR has posted images of leather-bound compilations of AD&D 1E books they say are rebindings of old material, complete with the disputed logo. They're selling these books for $650 each.

The Deities & Demigods book (middle top in the image) has a typo on the front cover.

rebound1e.jpg

About these books, NuTSR says "Look what just came in. Sorry, we didn't have these in for TSR CON. (in the beginning, WotC said similar to what people below are saying. We said they are rebound of old material. Long story short, WotC said ok no problem, we have it in writing)"

As rebindings, these would be existing books simply being resold. However, the covers with the disputed logo are new.

In early March WotC launched a lawsuit -- (PDF attachment of filing) -- naming TSR, TSR CEO Justin LaNasa personally, and the Dungeon Hobby Shop museum. WotC seeks a judgement that TSR hand over all domains, take down all websites, pay treble damages and costs, hand over all stock and proceeds related to the trademarks, and more.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.36.02 PM.png

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As a lover of AD&D, if the books were actually organized/grouped better as others have said, I might be tempted--but really the price is much too high regardless.

I would be curious to see the interiors... Updated formatting and artwork, etc. might look nice for a contrast to the originals.

Lissilambe1

Explorer
On the matter of misspellings, isn't Melbinone actually spelled with an accent aigu (the e with the little mark over it) for the final e? We blow it off in conversations like this because it can be a pain to insert the character, but for a cover, shouldn't that be included?

But what do I know?

Take care
Don

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There's a far bigger error here than just the relatively-trivial typo on Deities and Demigods.

The book of Monster Manuals claims to be "An Illustrated compendium of monsters -- by -- Gary Gygax".

Except it's not. MM 1 and MM 2 were his, certainly; but Fiend Folio is a compilation of (mostly) fan submissions to a British magazine and is edited by Don Turnbull. Gygax had nothing to do with it other than to give support and advice, as is noted in the editor's introduction.

Giving Gygax credit for a book he did not write counts, I think, as a fairly big mistake.

Orius

Legend
WTF!?

So these are supposed to be old used 1e books that had the old covers ripped off and they're rebound into new volumes? And some of these are collections of two or three separate books? And for a ridiculously outrageous price?

This is so mind boggling I can't even describe it. They've already been hit with at least one lawsuit for their shenanigans and they pull this!? WotC is not going to go gentle with this. Aren't most if not all of these books available as PoD now? This is NOT neglected IP, even if there's some legitimacy by reselling used goods. I'm sure WotC and/or Hasbro has plenty of corporate lawyers who will find some loophole or technicality to punish TSR for their astonishing chutzpah here.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
[...] but Fiend Folio is a compilation of (mostly) fan submissions to a British magazine and is edited by Don Turnbull. Gygax had nothing to do with it other than to give support and advice, as is noted in the editor's introduction.
There were a few monsters he contributed (the drow, the mezzodaemon, the nycadaemon, the kuo-toa for some), but yeah, he should not get credit for the whole book.

Remove ads

Remove ads