• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

O.L.D. & N.E.W. Errata Thread

Atom Mlatom

First Post
If he instead takes the attribute first it would cost only 1000xp plus the 2000 for the tradition after saving him 200 XP to do the same thing, just in a different order...

I get what you mean. Personally, I'm okay with this discrepancy. It's not a real huge exploit / punishment, and it gives the gamier players a chance to feel satisfied that they optimized their planning.

Sniperfox47

First Post
I guess... That was a really early progression example though. The gap in cost efficiency between the two grows rapidly.

It also just seems silly to me... To me that's the same thing as a 20 level fighter/20 level mage in d20 having more attack bonus than a 20 level mage/20 level fighter... Why should it matter if I take A first for B first, so long as I take both A and B.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guess... That was a really early progression example though. The gap in cost efficiency between the two grows rapidly.

It also just seems silly to me... To me that's the same thing as a 20 level fighter/20 level mage in d20 having more attack bonus than a 20 level mage/20 level fighter... Why should it matter if I take A first for B first, so long as I take both A and B.

It depends on your design goals, and how important you rank the "all choices are equal" philosophy. I've personally never done, and feel it can make a game bland, and I'm OK with choosing things in a certain order being more 'optimal' than others; there may still be other compelling reasons to choose the non-optimal course - XP cost is only one aspect of the process. Equally important is the effect each individual change has on your character, or whether a particular ability or prerequisite is needed or desired. Though I'd agree that the difference shouldn't be huge. It is a crunchy game, though, and character optimization has always been part of the fun of crunchy games, as long as it doesn't take over.

Last edited:

wallace521

First Post
Quick Question

I think I'm seeing that a new character can only take a skill once. While that seems fair, so you don't have someone running around with anything x5 at the beginning I think that negates anything past College I, or is that an exception to this rule. If a character stays in college for the same thing shouldn't they continue to gain that skill? Or am I misinterpreting this rule.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I'm seeing that a new character can only take a skill once. While that seems fair, so you don't have someone running around with anything x5 at the beginning I think that negates anything past College I, or is that an exception to this rule. If a character stays in college for the same thing shouldn't they continue to gain that skill? Or am I misinterpreting this rule.

That is correct at present; I have been considering an exception for some academic skills which won't result in people with massive dice pools in combat. The same argument can be applied to any career, not just college, but I can see a place for it for academic stuff.

wallace521

First Post
That is correct at present; I have been considering an exception for some academic skills which won't result in people with massive dice pools in combat. The same argument can be applied to any career, not just college, but I can see a place for it for academic stuff.

Okay thanks. I'm still limiting him to +2 engineering from College I and II and not letting him take Engineering from anything else.

tpegg67

Villager
Tradition: Page [Starter]

I am new to forums, so if I am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.

It seems to me that if the Page starts out with a high-quality musical instrument that they should have the Performance Skills to have a rudimentary knowledge of how to play such a nice instrument or am I missing something?

In addition, in the Attribute enhancements, there is a CR +1, should this be GC? I believe CR is a N.E.W. abbreviation for Credits.

Thanks,
Tony

dekrass

Explorer
I think the recklessness combat trick is using an old version of defense. As is it would give low AGI characters a slight boost to defense.

EDIT: This appears in the older O.L.D. documents as well, but not in the latest N.E.W. document.

Last edited:

Sniperfox47

First Post
I think the recklessness combat trick is using an old version of defense. As is it would give low AGI characters a slight boost to defense.

xD I didn't even notice that! I had read it as it becomes the lower of 10 or your normal score, whichever is lower.

As it is though, would make it an interesting trick for a barbarian or mage.

Wojorides

Explorer
No starting character can be a doctor?

Since Doctor requires science 3, we cant have a doctor in a starting party. Not a problem. just clarifying that was intended.

Remove ads