• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oathbound: On The Queen's Pedestal

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
“The thread of your life on this world has run out. Take my hand and I shall give you a new one, and weave it into a beautiful tapestry of dreams and visions such that you have never imagined. What life you make from here will depend on your strength, your will and your choice.

These were the words the mysterious masked woman spoke unto you, and no sooner than you heard the last syllable than her flock of black birds engulfed you. Instinctively you closed your eyes, and what may have been an eternity or may have been a moment passed, until you opened your eyes to a new world...

Oathbound: On The Queen's Pedestal

For those of you not in the know, Oathbound is a campaign setting published by Bastion Press, started in 2002. The basic, one-sentence description is that characters from all over the 'verse get plucked from their homes by one of the seven super-powerful rulers of the planet of The Forge: a surreal, magical planet that doubles as the prison for an ancient powerful god. The magical energy that seeps out of the prison gives the world its surreal feel and its inhabiants the key to great power, power enough that the rulers hope will allow one mortal to relieve them of their duty of guarding the prison, which as it turns out is an extremely boring job.

Israfel, the Queen of Penance, has chosen to bring you into her domain of the Forge, an extradimensional planet that conceals the most dangerous secret in the 'verse. What plans she has for you, who can say. But one thing's for sure, it will be an adventure in every sense. Your senses become sharper, colors brighter, passions become stronger and all of your abilities will be pushed to their limit. For it is part of the nature of the Forge to retemper mere mortals to make them extraordinary (extraordinarily nuts and gorram reckless, some bounders may say).

Starting level: 4
Alignments: any nonevil

Abilities: 4d6 drop low, reroll ones (at invisiblecastle.com, you can use the 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2) command, and post the results).

Races allowed: 0-ECL races from the PHB or Oathbound campaign setting book (hereafter referred to as OBCS). Characters can hail from any world and may use feats and PrCs from world-specific books (feats from Eberron or Forgotten Realms or PrCs from the same, as examples). Just double check to make sure I have access to the item you wish to use. I have access to a fair amount of older WotC stuff, but I'm missing most of the titles from this past year.

Classes: from PHB, XPH, Complete Adventurer Divine or Arcane. I'd prefer not to have any oriental-themed characters, but if you're really jonesing for one I won't stop ya.

Prestige races: One of the popular features amongst most people who've played Oathbound (myself included) is the opportunity to magically evolve new powers via the various magic power sites in The Forge. The method in the OBCS however, is woefully clunky. I prefer the 3-level prestige racial level format presented in the Wildwood sourcebook. If you're interested in going for a prestige race but don't have Wildwood, let me know.

In addition to the normal foci, I've also wrote my own versions of evolved paragon levels, suped-up racial paragon levels if you will. In order to take these, you need to have all three of your race's paragon levels.

Equipment: You have 8100 GP for purchasing equipment, which is 1.5 times the standard for 4th level. Treasure and rewards for this game will be above the usual amounts, about 1.5 +/- 0.2.

Other questions and concerns?: lay 'em on me.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
would knowledge of the setting itself be needed to play? ive never heard of this setting, so fittign in might be a bit difficult

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
Prior knowledge of Oathbound isn't needed to join in. In fact I think it'd be fun to see how a character reacts to getting dropped into a world that looks like it might've been created by a dadaist or surrealist painter. :)

Shayuri

First Post
This sounds neat. I'm in a lot of games already, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

I'll try an' put something together for this. Do ya have PHB 2? :)

Voadam

Legend
Since paragon levels are mentioned I take it Unearthed Arcana variants are OK as well? Spontaneous casting divine casters?

Voadam

Legend
Since I know of the setting would you like me to make a native who would appropriately have some setting knowledge? Or I can make a seed from a different world no problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads