Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No sweat; I am happy to have people disagree with me (and they'll even change my mind sometimes).

Pursuant to my parenthetical, can you say a bit more about what delighted you about her? I ask this not to be combative in the way we often see on EN World, but so that I can go back, re-watch the episodes, and see if I can come to see what you saw. I mean, the idea of a stubborn, preternaturally insightful, and rambunctious Leia I totally get and dig: it was just this actress' execution of it that I so disliked. What was it that especially charmed you?

I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say that I thought she nailed it. This is clearly where we differ (I, too, hold no animosity in disagreement) - I thought she did a particularly great job of embodying Leia-ness. What did you think was off about it?

As an aside, I've seen a lot of derision toward the actress of Reva here too. While I wouldn't say she was great, I thought she was fine, in a typical Star Wars Empire Nazi kind of way). True Imperials are just horrible people, which she did fine.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say that I thought she nailed it. This is clearly where we differ (I, too, hold no animosity in disagreement) - I thought she did a particularly great job of embodying Leia-ness. What did you think was off about it?

As an aside, I've seen a lot of derision toward the actress of Reva here too. While I wouldn't say she was great, I thought she was fine, in a typical Star Wars Empire Nazi kind of way). True Imperials are just horrible people, which she did fine.
I think the Reva actress was fine, the writing might need improvement though. Leia was fine for what she is too (despite the unnaturally stumpy legs :)), I supposed her mature insightful comments were due to the Force, so could accept the cuteness factor which I would have otherwise derided.

someone needs to advise Ob-wan that staying pristinely clean (daily presdigitation?) and wearing a Jedi robe isnt a good idea when you’re trying to hide though

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
someone needs to advise Ob-wan that staying pristinely clean (daily presdigitation?) and wearing a Jedi robe isnt a good idea when you’re trying to hide though
That’s one of those weird continuity things.

When we first saw Star Wars those robes were basically desert wear. The sandpeople worse similar. They weren’t supposed to be a Jedi outfit.

Then the prequels were made and somehow the decision was made that all the Jedi would dress like that. So now Kenobi is retroactively wearing his Jedi robes, not old desert wear.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that likes young Leia. She's adorable. I can definitely see her growing into older Leia. I knew something would take Oni-Wan off world. I had no idea it was her.

Lots of aliens I'm not familiar with. I like identifying them as the shows go along. Not as easy with this show. The sloth on stilts might be my favorite so far.

Not sure it's Mandalorian good, but it's already better than The Book of Boba Fett. We saw a down on his luck clone. I hope that's as close was we get to Boba Fett.
I had a feeling about that. In "A New Hope" Leia know about General Obiwan Kenobi and she had to learn about him, or meet him somewhere, so it set off my Spidey Senses when they first showed her. A 30 year old 10 year old resonates with me rather well for... reasons.

MarkB

Legend
I had a feeling about that. In "A New Hope" Leia know about General Obiwan Kenobi and she had to learn about him, or meet him somewhere, so it set off my Spidey Senses when they first showed her. A 30 year old 10 year old resonates with me rather well for... reasons.
Leia knowing about Obi-wan Kenobi could be explained by her father having told her about him. But when Luke rescues her from the detention centre he first refers to him as Ben Kenobi, and she's not even slightly thrown off by that name. This makes more sense of that scene, as he introduces himself to her as Ben.

Ryujin

Legend
Leia knowing about Obi-wan Kenobi could be explained by her father having told her about him. But when Luke rescues her from the detention centre he first refers to him as Ben Kenobi, and she's not even slightly thrown off by that name. This makes more sense of that scene, as he introduces himself to her as Ben.
Could be but in the context of her appearing in this show, it was obviously otherwise ;)

pukunui

Legend
Then the prequels were made and somehow the decision was made that all the Jedi would dress like that. So now Kenobi is retroactively wearing his Jedi robes, not old desert wear.
There are a few exceptions, of course. Luminara Unduli gets to wear her culture's traditional garb, complete with headdress, while Aayla Secura gets to dress like she's going clubbing or something.

Last edited:

G

Guest 7034872

I think it was Tonguez who used the term "wooden" for her acting, and I agree with that. It was all too easy for me to see the actress making all her efforts, whereas when Smits or McGregor were on screen, all I saw were their characters.
Yeah, I thought it was again a bit wooden. Nothing awful, mind you--just a bit two-dimensional compared to, say, the Grand Inquisitor. It seemed like Reva's only two emotions in both episodes were anger and impatience and she wore them both in equal degrees all throughout every scene.

Still, it wasn't a bad show by any means and I see a lot of promise in it.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, I thought it was again a bit wooden. Nothing awful, mind you--just a bit two-dimensional compared to, say, the Grand Inquisitor. It seemed like Reva's only two emotions in both episodes were anger and impatience and she wore them both in equal degrees all throughout every scene.
Huh, I wouldn't have called out the Grand Inquisitor as a better example. He came across as "grumpy middle management" to me, nowhere near the screen presence he had in Rebels.

Remove ads