Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

G

Guest 7034872

Huh, I wouldn't have called out the Grand Inquisitor as a better example. He came across as "grumpy middle management" to me, nowhere near the screen presence he had in Rebels.
Never saw Rebels, so I've no grounds for comparison. I will agree he seemed like the stereotypical "grumpy manager" sort, though. I just saw a bit more range of emotions in his character than in Reva's is all. Still, this is only a difference of degrees that I'm observing. Reva didn't kill the show for me.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I guess my own opinions line up mostly with wicked cool's: the acting (and also the writing) for both Reva and Leia were really, really weak. Nearly all the rest of the writing, though, was great and McGregor's acting was stellar, as usual, as was Smits'.

The acting from the girl playing Leia I simply could not stand; I wanted to because I recognize how hard a role like that is for a child actor, but in the end I just couldn't stand it. And the writing around her was awful at times: a nine-year-old child on half-grown legs runs from four or five scary grown men and yet somehow they don't catch her inside of two seconds? That must be a new Force ability I haven't heard of before. Really, I blame the writers for that weak overall performance, not the actress herself: they never should have given so much dialogue to a kid so unprepared for the role's demands.

Still, there's a lot in these two episodes that I like very much. From these first two episodes I rate it well below The Mandalorian but still above The Book of Boba Fett (and far above the main story sequels and prequels).
There are people that don't like Leia in this? Mind. Boggling. She's the best part for me, by far. And it isn't close.

G

Guest 7034872

People tend to expect far too much from child actors. It's like all of those job ads where they want someone to fill an entry level position, but have 5 years experience in the industry ;)
Right, and that's why I said I fault the writers and directors more than I do the actress playing Leia: given her age, she's doing all she can with the role, but I also think given her age, they shouldn't have given her quite so much dialogue and action. There were times when she was 100% fine to my mind, like at the dinner with her smirking cousin: nailed it there. But then there were other times when I totally saw the actress acting and trying hard to conjure certain emotions, not the character living in the story.

I think it's just too big of a role for a nine-year-old kid to carry. The suits should've known that.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Right, and that's why I said I fault the writers and directors more than I do the actress playing Leia: given her age, she's doing all she can with the role, but I also think given her age, they shouldn't have given her quite so much dialogue and action. There were times when she was 100% fine to my mind, like at the dinner with her smirking cousin: nailed it there. But then there were other times when I totally saw the actress acting and trying hard to conjure certain emotions, not the character living in the story.

I think it's just too big of a role for a nine-year-old kid to carry. The suits should've known that.
I disagree. We really love the dialogue and everything about her. To each their own.

I figure a child actor will be like this. Whatever.

But the action and editing were weak in my view. Kenobi is engaged in a sorta lazy firefight on the rooftops and he has to stop to force grab Leia.

The next cut, he's at ground level, and there's no clue as to what the guy still shooting at him did. And we'd been watching Reva leap around as if she was going to be there imminently, but all her force parkour amounted to nothing.

That could have been tightened up. Like, Star Wars is an action franchise, and Disney has unlimited money. I don't get why the action doesn't look top notch.

G

Guest 7034872

But the action and editing were weak in my view. Kenobi is engaged in a sorta lazy firefight on the rooftops and he has to stop to force grab Leia.

The next cut, he's at ground level, and there's no clue as to what the guy still shooting at him did. And we'd been watching Reva leap around as if she was going to be there imminently, but all her force parkour amounted to nothing.

That could have been tightened up. Like, Star Wars is an action franchise, and Disney has unlimited money. I don't get why the action doesn't look top notch.
Yeah, that irked me a bit, too. I quickly forgave it because it's the crucial moment of Obi-Wan's change of heart, but it was an obvious hole in the action sequence.

Still, I'm keeping with my "mixed bag" assessment and for all the points I've made against it, in the end it's a mixed bag that I rate positively.
I think my favorite world building element, though, was the sand worm sushi workshop.
That was wonderful.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I figure a child actor will be like this. Whatever.

The next cut, he's at ground level, and there's no clue as to what the guy still shooting at him did.
yeah, that was just stupid and really took me out of the show- it was an absolute “enter stage left” moment.
My expecttion was that Reva would swoop down to grab Leia thus forcing Obiwan to go full action hero and jump down into battle - but nope, bad guys with lasers gone and Obi-wan just walks in from off set :(

Remove ads