Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
As far as Kenobi being weaker, we should remember that he's a broken man. He even tells Organa, "I'm not the man I used to be." The dude lost almost everything he cared about and has been eeking out a hard scrabble existence in hiding on the ass end of the galaxy for a decade. He hasn't been communing with the Force or training, and when he ignited his saber while facing Vader it was probably for the first time in ten years. Vader, on the other hand, is an absolute beast who has only gotten stronger and dominates through strength and brutality. Did anyone notice that Vader wielded his saber with just one hand? It reminded me of his fight with Luke in ESB, where Vader also wields his saber with one hand as he toys with his opponent, but switches to two hands when he gains some respect for Luke's abilities. Notice that he gains no such respect for Obi-Wan's prowess in this fight. Obi-Wan is weaker than Luke was in ESB.

I don't mind if it looks like things have slowed down a bit. Personally, I think a lot of fighting in movies looks silly these days. Too cartoonish. If Vader can't leap around like he used to, well, he's got three artificial limbs and needs help breathing. And Obi-Wan has slowed down because he's a broken man.
Yes, we really have to remember how much mastery of The Force seems to be in the belief that you can control it. "Do or do not. There is no try." He's broken to the point that he no longer believes in himself, or his abilities.

285515370_10225458251310437_1683581644538237722_n.jpg

Mallus

Legend
You know, seeing Vader did very little for me.

However, seeing Obi-Wan in the back of a space pickup looking at Leia while his eyes said, "I would like to have been your mom. It... could have been good. She was great." was excellent.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vader "When last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master."

Obi-Wan "What about that fight we had nine years ago? You were pretty damn impressive then."

Vader "Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about that one. You were pathetic then."

Obi-Wan "Hey, at least you stood around while I got away. Thanks, mate."

Vader "Yeah, well, there was fire. I'm a little nervous around fire since you... burned my limbs off and left me for dead."

Obi-Wan "You did that to yourself. I warned you, I had the high ground!"

Vader "... Now you will die, Old Man!

Obi-Wan "Strike me down, Darth, and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Vader "When last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master."

Obi-Wan "What about that fight we had nine years ago? You were pretty damn impressive then."

Vader "Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about that one. You were pathetic then."

Obi-Wan "Hey, at least you stood around while I got away. Thanks, mate."

Vader "Yeah, well, there was fire. I'm a little nervous around fire since you... burned my limbs off and left me for dead."

Obi-Wan "You did that to yourself. I warned you, I had the high ground!"

Vader "... Now you will die, Old Man!

Obi-Wan "Strike me down, Darth, and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"
Exactly. That''s how the original script was. Lucas, much like the Emperor, had foreseen everything, including the series that Disney would produce long after he sold Star Wars to them. But those fools at 20th Century Fox woudn't believe him and they changed the scene. Now, as a punishment, they've also been bought by Disney... or something like that.

pukunui

Legend
(I haven't heard anything about Liam Neeson being involved, but it wouldn't be the first big unannounced cameo he's made this year.)
I expect we’ll get something, even if it’s just Qui-Gonn’s voice. It’s clear Obi-Wan hasn’t made that connection yet, and he needs to do so in order to be able to become a Force ghost in Ep 4, as per Yoda’s “I have training for you” bit at the end of Ep 3.

Anakin’s real power as the special Chosen One is his ability to become a Force ghost without having to learn how first.

Last edited:

So, I finally started watching this show. So far, I like it. The mood is dark, I like the look of the show, and Ewan Mc Gregor is great as beaten down old Obi Wan. And most importantly, there is a plot with a middle and an end.

Young Leia is great, but the writers shouldn't give her very complicated dialog. It seems very odd coming out of a 10 year old's mouth. Acting wise, I'm a little bit more forgiving towards child actors.

Boy, those kidnappers in episode 1 were really trying hard not to catch up with Leia!

Reva is very weak in the first episode, but she gets a little better with episode 2 and 3. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes actors need time to get comfortable with their character. Plus, that outfit in a desert can't be comfy.

Some cyberpunk-esque stuff in episode 2, which I enjoyed. The jedi fraud was fun. The rooftop shoot out had some weird editing, but I'll give it a pass. Another slow chase where Leia slowly gets away though. I do enjoy how they depict Obi Wan's trauma.

The whole checkpoint scene in episode 3 was silly. The stormtroopers really had no idea what the jedi they're looking for looks like, despite him wearing the most obvious jedi outfit imaginable? Weren't they informed he had a young girl with him too? And shooting the laser barricade was a bit of a set design blunder.

But there is also a lot to like. I enjoy the practical suit creatures and real sets. James Earl Jones is back, and they did a good job making Vader menacing. His fight with Obi Wan was fine imo. I also liked how he dragged him through the fire.

Why did Vader not immediately pursue Obi Wan? The way I interpreted it, it looked like he was having an introspective moment. Besides, it's not like Vader is ever in a hurry.

I geeked out when I saw the Imperial Shuttle in the background, and the probe droids, not gonna lie.

I hope we see some more Fallen Order crossover stuff. I really feel like Fallen Order got Star Wars right, and so far this show is echoing a similar vibe. Obi Wan will obviously get back in touch with the Force slowly over the course of the show and I'm here for it.

Lets hope they don't ruin it in the next couple of episodes.

Last edited:

so the writers are now explaining that Kenobi didnt know (comicbook. com) that Anakin survived and thats why hes so shook when she tells him.

the whole problem i have is how does she know he doesnt know and that this will work on him. This is just poor writing

She doesnt know he's unaware Anakin survived. She's literally surprised Obi Wan was unaware. She says as much.

You missed that?

Remove ads